Does the water in the lower level of the pool get circulated

MK1985

Jul 9, 2011
Webster,Wi
I'm curious John when you say that both chems are heavier then water and will settle to the bottom, we use the skimmer that hangs over the edge of the pool and it does a great job of cleaning the surface but does the water in the lower level of the pool get circulated through the pump.Hopfully this wasn't a stupid question but I know any waste on the bottom seems to stay there.

Re: Does the water in the lower level of the pool get circul

There are no stupid questions. We all started out not understanding how things worked.

If your circulation is good then the water should all mix throughly and all go through the filter. In an above ground pool it is usually best to aim the return jet down and to one side to help make sure the deep water gets circulated.

I'm learning on the fly Jason but things are starting to make alittle sense now. I am going to do a test with my new TF-100 after work and will post the results, hopfully they aren't way out of wack.

I have been thinking about the topic lately after suspecting some stratification in my pool. Most of the time my pool gets multiple swim sessions daily (with many swimmers). Recently I purchased a 2 speed pump (see sig and thanks to those here who helped me pick it out) and started running the majority of the time on low. Last week we hit a two day stretch where weather and schedule meant no swimmers. I went out to measure my FC one night and got virtually 0. This freaked me out a bit...since I had not seen this before. I am using an intex swcg...so I went over to it and observed the bubbles coming off of the plate electrodes...a good sign it was working. I almost decided to supplement with bleach, but decided I would test one more day. I went out in the morning and my level was still very low...about 1. I was late for work, so I did nothing. That day the kids had friends over and also turned the pump on high (to use the solar panels...I have found the pump needs to be on high, or the panels are not as effective in heating). When I got home that night I tested and the levels were back up ~4 ppm. I am theorizing that the chlorine was sitting lower than I was drawing my samples due to lower flow and lack of disturbance. Also, I noticed since then that my return was point parallel and not down much, so I changed that. More testing needed to prove my theory.

Most of us don't have perfect circulation at all levels of the pool. Basically, you need to experiment by aiming your returns certain directions to see what works best. Then, supplement this with regular brushing of the pool surfaces.

linen said:
I have been thinking about the topic lately after suspecting some stratification in my pool. Most of the time my pool gets multiple swim sessions daily (with many swimmers). Recently I purchased a 2 speed pump (see sig and thanks to those here who helped me pick it out) and started running the majority of the time on low. Last week we hit a two day stretch where weather and schedule meant no swimmers. I went out to measure my FC one night and got virtually 0. This freaked me out a bit...since I had not seen this before. I am using an intex swcg...so I went over to it and observed the bubbles coming off of the plate electrodes...a good sign it was working. I almost decided to supplement with bleach, but decided I would test one more day. I went out in the morning and my level was still very low...about 1. I was late for work, so I did nothing. That day the kids had friends over and also turned the pump on high (to use the solar panels...I have found the pump needs to be on high, or the panels are not as effective in heating). When I got home that night I tested and the levels were back up ~4 ppm. I am theorizing that the chlorine was sitting lower than I was drawing my samples due to lower flow and lack of disturbance. Also, I noticed since then that my return was point parallel and not down much, so I changed that. More testing needed to prove my theory.

Does the flow rate effect chlorine production?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.