Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Regular doses of preventative algacide?

1. Back To Top    #1

Regular doses of preventative algacide?

Thanks to this forum, I have had no algae this year using the BBB system.

However: I have a couple of bottles of polyquat left from last year when the pool store was telling me to put in 8 oz every week as prevention. Does this make sense? Or should I expect never to need it as long as FC levels are adequate (adjusted for CYA)?

Pool store also wanted me to add 8 oz of Jack's Blue every week to prevent stains.
    In-ground, 13,000 gallon pool, plaster, built 2008-9.
    Pump Whisper-flow 60 gpm DE filter
    Spa: 2013 Hot Springs/salt generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Dallas, TX

Re: Regular doses of preventative algacide?

You shouldn't need them at all.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

I would save it for use when you winterize.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Portland, Oregon

We switched last July to BBB two weeks after filling a new pool and packing it w/chems and algaecide. Our previous pools had "needed" algaecide regularly and were fairly troublesome with the pool store method.

Since then no algaecide has gone into the pool, even for prevention. Pool turned a little green early this spring due to a week of sun and the cover fallen in. That is the only time I've had to shock this pool's water, and I never even considered algaecide. Shocking worked great to get the algae off the cover itself as well.

I know there is a (loose) recommendation in pool school for small pool owners to use the polyquat as a preventative measure but I don't see the necessity as long as you maintain it w/chlorine as directed (min/target) daily.

Personally I'd sell whole leftover bottles to some poor sap and bite my tongue.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.