Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing 1 speed pump to 2 speed????

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing 1 speed pump to 2 speed????

I have a Pentair Wisperflo 2.0hp pump, I believe it is running 220v right now, I was wondering if there was any way to convert it to a two speed pump, I know I don't need a full 2hp. but the pump is only 2 yrs old and feel that replacing it with a lower hp will not be worth the savings in electricity, can I covert it to run at a slower speed?

Thanks
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

One way is to change out the electric motor. You need to find out the make and model of the existing motor, and then search the mfgr's catalog for a cooresponding two speed model. One important piece of information is the frame size. The replacement must have the same frame size.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Rockcrawler,

Do you have any items such as an attached spa, a pressure cleaner, or a solar system which requires the flow of "high speed"? If not, one other option might be to remove the existing pump impellor and replace with an impellor which draws less horsepower. This option, assuming that you will never need the higher flows of "high speed", will cost much less than a replacement two-speed motor in material costs. I'm not sure about the relative labor hours of the two options.

Also, I do not know what your existing filter pump control system looks like. If you have a "normal" mechanical timer - or no timer at all - you are going to need something like the Intermatic T10604R, which can be found on the Internet for betweenn $150 and $200. This cost would be for just the timers and enclosure and doesn't include installation labor. http://www.intermatic.com/Default.asp?a ... 59&sid=336

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks for the replies,

Titanium, I have a solar heater that will require the "higher" speed, but I don't run the solar heater in the winter, about 5 months out of the year, I wanted the lower speed for the winter time, I guess I will "really" have to do some research to see if it is cost effective to buy a 2 speed motor, I wouldn't think I would need the dual timer because I would just switch the motor to the higher speed in summer, I have a mechanical timer

Rob

dschlic1

thats probaly what I will do is buy one, I was hoping because I am cheap, that there was a way to make a one speed into a two speed but apparently not

thanks
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5
    On the contrary, you do not need to verify frame size. An AO Smith motor will be in a 48 frame and a Century will be in a 56 frame. both square flange motors fit the seal plate on that pump. If you're in California, the law now requires you to add that two speed clock. You have no option by law to install the 2 speed motor without it. You can, but good luck. The AO Smith motor you want in a 2HP is the SQS1202R. That is a 48 frame motor and adapts to your Whisperflo.
    Authorized IntelliFlo Installer

6. Back To Top    #6
    Thanks repair guy,

I am in Texas, so I won't have to worry about the a law that tells me what kind of timer I have to have

Rob