How Often to Add Bleach

Redman

Jun 30, 2011
When the pool water is balanced and PH, ALK, CYA, etc. are all good, How often should I have to add bleach to the pool?
I know there are varying circumstances, but in general how often. (every day, once a week, twice a week?) Please don't answer "whenever testing shows you need it", I believe I KNOW THAT. I'm looking for a general idea, so I can tell if I'm loosing CL to fast.

Thanks

Sunny, hot day (swimmers or not) - daily, in the evening after all is quiet in the pool.

Cloudy, cool, swimmers - possibly daily depending on test

Cloudy, cool, no swimmers - every other day, test second day.

That's my schedule.

Will other members please post your daily and weekly schedules.

I check the PH and CL almost daily and backwash and vacuum weekly or run Polaris automatic pool cleaner.
I also check ALK and CH every week / 10 days or so.
I thought the CL bleach would last longer than it does. I'm buying the large jugs from Wal-Mart (a little over 1 gallon) and add a little every night or two.
Just wanted to know if this is about average.

One problem I still have, is dirt/sand or some small fine particles showing up on the bottom of the pool after the pump runs for a day or two. I vacuum it out to waste or use a skimmer sock to catch it, but more shows up after a few days. Any suggestions?

mynewpool said:
I add daily and use my test results to determine how much to add.

How did you figure out how much liquid bleach/chlorine to add to keep it at normal range?

My test either show it as ideal (7.2-7.8) or almost none at all. I'm trying to figure out how much bleach to add at a time to reach the ideal range.
I probably add a little to much when needed. I guess this is an ongoing learning process right now.

You should not have to backwash your filter weekly. Check the PSI when it's clean, then backwash when it climbs around 8 psi.

If you are only adding a little bleach each night, I'd say you are doing well. I've had times where I needed a gallon or more a day, depending on sunlight, bather load, and CYA level.

Dirt and sand and other fine particles can get into your pool from wind, and from pollen falling from trees. It isn't necessarily indicitive of a filter problem. If you believe your filter has a problem, you can hold a sock over a return and see if you get any sand in the sock. Filter sand is pretty course, you should be able to tell it from something being tracked or blown into the pool.

Get your CYA level, then use http://thepoolcalculator.com to figure out how much chlorine to add.

RobbieH said:
You should not have to backwash your filter weekly. Check the PSI when it's clean, then backwash when it climbs around 8 psi.

If you are only adding a little bleach each night, I'd say you are doing well. I've had times where I needed a gallon or more a day, depending on sunlight, bather load, and CYA level.

Dirt and sand and other fine particles can get into your pool from wind, and from pollen falling from trees. It isn't necessarily indicitive of a filter problem. If you believe your filter has a problem, you can hold a sock over a return and see if you get any sand in the sock. Filter sand is pretty course, you should be able to tell it from something being tracked or blown into the pool.

Get your CYA level, then use http://thepoolcalculator.com to figure out how much chlorine to add.

I backwash after I vacuum the pool. What PSI is usually normal based on my pool info below? I believe it runs around 20psi.

The fine particales only show up after the pump runs for 8 hours or so. I have vacuumed the pool, backwashed, and left the pump off for several hours with no visable signs of sand/dirt particles showing up. The dirt particles on the bottom are right below and in front of both return jets for my pool, not all over the whole bottom. Would adding some DE to the sand filter help? It does have dirt on the bottom and the steps after a heavy rain.

If by chance the pump is blowing sand from my filter into the pool, what action do I need to take?

Normal is what your PSI runs after you backwash. So if you normally see 20, then it's 20. YOu don't need to backwash until you climb to 28.

If you are leaking sand out into the pool, adding DE won't help. It could be a cracked lateral or bad o-ring somewhere. Do the sock test and make sure it's coming from the return. I have found when this is the case, it's worse when the pump first starts its daily cycle. It might be more telling if you can have someone assist you with the test after the pump has been off for some time.

Redman said:
mynewpool said:

How did you figure out how much liquid bleach/chlorine to add to keep it at normal range?

My test either show it as ideal (7.2-7.8) or almost none at all. I'm trying to figure out how much bleach to add at a time to reach the ideal range.
I probably add a little to much when needed. I guess this is an ongoing learning process right now.

How did you determine 7.2 - 7.8 was your ideal chlorine level? Just asking because that sounds more like the ideal pH range. How much CYA do you have in the pool? That determines what level you need to keep chlorine at and a minimum level not to let it fall below.

Find your CYA on this chart and it will tell you your minimum and target: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

I tested nightly for a while and added enough bleach to get me back up to my target + 1 ppm. So if my CYA was 40, I brought it up to 6. (target of 5 + 1). I added the 1ppm so that in case I accidentally missed a night adding bleach, I would not drop down below the minimum value. (My pool uses about 1.5 ppm per day, so over two days, that would drop me from 6 to 3 which is the min.) On days that I know I will not be able to add the next night, I have doubled my addition. Normaly nightly addition is 2 cups for my small pool. If I won't be around the next night, I add 4 cups to bring me up to 7.5 ppm.

If adding and testing nightly, add enough to reach target or 1-2 ppm over that.

If adding and testing every other day, figure out how much your pool is using per day and add that to your target value. Then add enough bleach to reach that at least that value.

Same process if you were checking every 3rd day, but that is really not practical with much sun or hot weather. Maybe in the spring or fall. If you cannot do daily or every other day, you might look into a liquidator or SWG.

By the way, the pool calculator tells you exactly how many ounces to add. It does not need to be a guessing game.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RobbieH said:
Normal is what your PSI runs after you backwash. So if you normally see 20, then it's 20. YOu don't need to backwash until you climb to 28.

If you are leaking sand out into the pool, adding DE won't help. It could be a cracked lateral or bad o-ring somewhere. Do the sock test and make sure it's coming from the return. I have found when this is the case, it's worse when the pump first starts its daily cycle. It might be more telling if you can have someone assist you with the test after the pump has been off for some time.

OK......it is normal at 20psi. I backwash and rinse after I vacuum the pool. I usually vacuum once a week, so I backwash and rinse to help clear and clean the sand. Is this not necessary?

I replaced the sand in my filter before opening the pool this year. (Yes I used POOL SAND and not play sand) I inspected all of the laterials and they looked fine. I know that right after replacing the sand you get a certain amount of dust/dirt/debris from the new sand. But this has been happening the last few years. I'll do the sock test. It could be a bad o-ring I guess. It's just aggrevating that the pool is so clear and clean for a day or two, then this stuff appears on the bottom of the pool.

aa62579 said:
Redman said:
mynewpool said:

How did you determine 7.2 - 7.8 was your ideal chlorine level? Just asking because that sounds more like the ideal pH range. How much CYA do you have in the pool? That determines what level you need to keep chlorine at and a minimum level not to let it fall below.

Find your CYA on this chart and it will tell you your minimum and target: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

I tested nightly for a while and added enough bleach to get me back up to my target + 1 ppm. So if my CYA was 40, I brought it up to 6. (target of 5 + 1). I added the 1ppm so that in case I accidentally missed a night adding bleach, I would not drop down below the minimum value. (My pool uses about 1.5 ppm per day, so over two days, that would drop me from 6 to 3 which is the min.) On days that I know I will not be able to add the next night, I have doubled my addition. Normaly nightly addition is 2 cups for my small pool. If I won't be around the next night, I add 4 cups to bring me up to 7.5 ppm.

If adding and testing nightly, add enough to reach target or 1-2 ppm over that.

If adding and testing every other day, figure out how much your pool is using per day and add that to your target value. Then add enough bleach to reach that at least that value.

Same process if you were checking every 3rd day, but that is really not practical with much sun or hot weather. Maybe in the spring or fall. If you cannot do daily or every other day, you might look into a liquidator or SWG.

By the way, the pool calculator tells you exactly how many ounces to add. It does not need to be a guessing game.

You're right .... that's my PH level. I am going to do a testing tonight and post all of the results.

Did you fill your filter about halfway full of water before adding the sand? This cushions the sand from hitting the laterals hard when adding the sand. Also, you have to do a good, long backflush after adding new sand. At least 5 minutes.

By the way, I replaced my sand filter (circa 1989) this year, it was blowing sand into the pool. We disassembled it and could not find anything wrong with it visually.

RobbieH said:
Did you fill your filter about halfway full of water before adding the sand? This cushions the sand from hitting the laterals hard when adding the sand. Also, you have to do a good, long backflush after adding new sand. At least 5 minutes.

By the way, I replaced my sand filter (circa 1989) this year, it was blowing sand into the pool. We disassembled it and could not find anything wrong with it visually.

Yes, I filled the tank over half full with water before adding the sand. I didn't backwash for 5 min., but maybe 2 min. I guess I could do a longer backwash.

What did you wind up doing about the sand blowing into the pool?

The best way to determine your pool's chlorine consumption is to test frequently and keep records. Eventually, you will just know when to add and how much to get you in the ballpark.

I add bleach daily and acid about once a week.

Just tested the water and the results are:

CL = 2-3
PH = 7.6-7.7
TA = 90-100
Hardness = 100-120
CYA = 50-60

I'm going to start keeping a log (great idea). I test in the evening when I get home from work, around 5-6:00PM.

Thanks

I agree you really need a better test kit such as the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 it will allow you to keep a sparkling clear pool.

I test my chlorine an ph daily and use the Pool calculator to calculate how much chlorine to add to get back up to the high end of my range and thanks to Jason's super cool Pool calculator for the I-phone i do it all at poolside..

Yeah......I need a Taylor Test Kit.

Don't know the FC or CC levels.

Test was done with LaMotte test strip and standard PH - CL tubes and solution drops. I was going by the Pool School "Recommended Levels" for a vinyl pool, no SWG.
Everything else compares about right. I do need to order more CYA solution to keep up on the CYA level.

Pool School Recommended Levels
for a Vinyl Pool using Bleach

FC 3-7
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 50-300
CYA 30-50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.