New to salt

belgique

LifeTime Supporter
You guys talked me into it: AquaRite T-Cell-15 -- supposed to arrive tomorrow. All excited so I checked the manual and pool calculator and see I need 800 lbs to get to the 3200 level (assuming a zero salt level at start). Got the salt and started adding it while waiting on my Aqua Check salt test strips.

Added 10 bags (400 lbs) over they last 4 days. Yesterday, the strips arrived: 3530!!!! Whoa...my water must have had a lot of salt in it. Checked the water source that fills the pool: zero. Checked the pool water again and get the same reading. Pool calculator says dump 9% (2600 gallons). Think I'll wait until I get the SWG hooked up and see what reading it gives.

What happened?
Agree that I should wait?

Thanks. Steve

had mine hooked up for a few weeks now
my aquarite box says my salt elevel is 3900 some days it goes up to 4100 and comes down to 3700
never a salt too high light coming on

water has a salty tayste to it tho
but other then that all seems good

wait to see what the box says
ill trust that over the strips, cause you want to make the box happy

Well, there is a good news and bad news here. Good news is that I'll be able to get my salt levels down. Bad news is the reason that I can :grrrr:

A guest was swimming laps and the vac hose got in her way (mind you, this is a 40x20 pool and only 1 person in it). She pushed the hose to the edge and hooked the end that goes on the skimmer on the edge. Naturally, that slid on over and all the hose followed leaving the vac head on the bottom. Then Mr. Siphon took over and emptied quite a few gallons of water :grrrr: But, the good news is that I caught when I did. Had I not, it would have siphoned all 29,000 gallons overboard!!!

I often find a 500 ppm variance or even more between salt strip tests and the readings on my T-15.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the morning when my pool pump turns on my salt reading is 3300 ppm but after it runs for 4 hours the salt reading drops to 3100 ppm. Is this because the SWG is breaking the salt molecules into FC, thereby reducing the salt level?

About two weeks ago I Added salt to my pool and turned on my new SWG. I almost added to much salt also as my SWG gave me inaccurate readings in the beginning. If I had to do it all over again, i would test my water before I started (even though My pool was only a month old) then use the pool calcualtor and add only enough salt to bring it up to 2700 ppm, circulate the water for 24 hours, turn on the SWG and let it calibrate for at least three days before slowly adding more salt to bring it up to the desired level. Bottom line is go slow and wait for consistent salt readings before adding more salt.

I just ordered a Pool Pilot Digital the other day and was just going to add salt this weekend assuming that I didn't have any in the pool already. I ended up getting picking up the test strips just to make sure and had a reading of around 1200 ppm. I think I'll just add 50 to 75% of what the calculator says I should based on that 1200 ppm result and wait to see what the SWG says once I install it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.