Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to salt

1. Back To Top    #1

New to salt

You guys talked me into it: AquaRite T-Cell-15 -- supposed to arrive tomorrow. All excited so I checked the manual and pool calculator and see I need 800 lbs to get to the 3200 level (assuming a zero salt level at start). Got the salt and started adding it while waiting on my Aqua Check salt test strips.

Added 10 bags (400 lbs) over they last 4 days. Yesterday, the strips arrived: 3530!!!! Whoa...my water must have had a lot of salt in it. Checked the water source that fills the pool: zero. Checked the pool water again and get the same reading. Pool calculator says dump 9% (2600 gallons). Think I'll wait until I get the SWG hooked up and see what reading it gives.

What happened?
    Agree that I should wait?

Thanks. Steve
    Cedar Island NC (Southern Outer Banks)
    Splash Super Pool (40x20)
    29,000 gal; AG; Sand Filter; 1.5HP pump. Use the cosmic Taylor Test Kit
    New Aquarite SWG w/T-15 cell; New Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to salt

I would wait and see if the swcg is happy.

As a side note; I've never added a single bag of salt to our pool but my salt level is 1800 ppm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

But Bama, I checked the water that fills the pool and it was zero. Unless the pool absorbed sea air/mist (we are on a salt water bay), not sure how this could happen. Oh well. I'll do as you say and wait and see. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Remember, all forms of chlorine add salt. Over time it builds up and you have some salt in the water even if you've never added any or the source doesn't contain any.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Shazam! That would explain it because I have certainly added a lot of chlorine. Thanks! Let's hope the SWG can live with it.

Lesson: do what the School says and check salt level before adding.

6. Back To Top    #6

had mine hooked up for a few weeks now
    my aquarite box says my salt elevel is 3900 some days it goes up to 4100 and comes down to 3700
    never a salt too high light coming on

water has a salty tayste to it tho
    but other then that all seems good

wait to see what the box says
    ill trust that over the strips, cause you want to make the box happy
    11,000 gal inground fiberglass pool
    Aquarite SWG system

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, there is a good news and bad news here. Good news is that I'll be able to get my salt levels down. Bad news is the reason that I can

A guest was swimming laps and the vac hose got in her way (mind you, this is a 40x20 pool and only 1 person in it). She pushed the hose to the edge and hooked the end that goes on the skimmer on the edge. Naturally, that slid on over and all the hose followed leaving the vac head on the bottom. Then Mr. Siphon took over and emptied quite a few gallons of water But, the good news is that I caught when I did. Had I not, it would have siphoned all 29,000 gallons overboard!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I often find a 500 ppm variance or even more between salt strip tests and the readings on my T-15.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

My SWCG panel seems to always read about 200 to 300 ppm lower than the test strips.

Belgique, glad you caught Mr. Syphon when you did
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

10. Back To Top    #10

Good thing it didn't siphon too long. This vacuum hoses move a lot of water quickly. That's what I use to remove water when the rain gets too bad.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

In the morning when my pool pump turns on my salt reading is 3300 ppm but after it runs for 4 hours the salt reading drops to 3100 ppm. Is this because the SWG is breaking the salt molecules into FC, thereby reducing the salt level?

About two weeks ago I Added salt to my pool and turned on my new SWG. I almost added to much salt also as my SWG gave me inaccurate readings in the beginning. If I had to do it all over again, i would test my water before I started (even though My pool was only a month old) then use the pool calcualtor and add only enough salt to bring it up to 2700 ppm, circulate the water for 24 hours, turn on the SWG and let it calibrate for at least three days before slowly adding more salt to bring it up to the desired level. Bottom line is go slow and wait for consistent salt readings before adding more salt.

12. Back To Top    #12

No, the process doesn't consume salt like that. Most likely since they guestimate the salinity from the condition of the cell, when it first energizes, the power actually ramps up, at which time so will the salt reading.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

13. Back To Top    #13
    Mike S

I just ordered a Pool Pilot Digital the other day and was just going to add salt this weekend assuming that I didn't have any in the pool already. I ended up getting picking up the test strips just to make sure and had a reading of around 1200 ppm. I think I'll just add 50 to 75% of what the calculator says I should based on that 1200 ppm result and wait to see what the SWG says once I install it.