Contact Cement vs. Water Proof Grease ?

Apr 8, 2009
Need to replace the spider gasket on a Hayward Vari-Flo. When I picked the new gasket up at the local pool store the clerks all agreed that I should use contact cement when installing the new gasket (I say all because I questioned the first guy when he said this).

I really don't like the idea of 'bonding' or 'glueing' the gasket in the valve.. I mean, what happens next time I need to replace the thing??????

So, I've seen instructions on the web recommending a 'water proof' grease be used.

Does it matter?????

I hope our expert "waste" will be along soon (or one of several others) but I am with you.....I DO NOT like the idea of permanently attaching a replaceable gasket. I will use the grease if I ever need to replace mine

Contact cement would not be permanent. Is is more like rubber cement, which would hold the gasket in place, seal it, but allow it to peel off it needed to be replaced. It is only permanent on porous surfaces where it can penetrate the materials.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.