Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Contact Cement vs. Water Proof Grease ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Contact Cement vs. Water Proof Grease ?

Need to replace the spider gasket on a Hayward Vari-Flo. When I picked the new gasket up at the local pool store the clerks all agreed that I should use contact cement when installing the new gasket (I say all because I questioned the first guy when he said this).

I really don't like the idea of 'bonding' or 'glueing' the gasket in the valve.. I mean, what happens next time I need to replace the thing??????

So, I've seen instructions on the web recommending a 'water proof' grease be used.

Does it matter?????
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 1/2 HP pump, 24" sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Contact Cement vs. Water Proof Grease ?

I hope our expert "waste" will be along soon (or one of several others) but I am with you.....I DO NOT like the idea of permanently attaching a replaceable gasket. I will use the grease if I ever need to replace mine
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Lots of things work. Even super glue will still allow you to get the old gasket out, though it does takes a little more work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Contact cement would not be permanent. Is is more like rubber cement, which would hold the gasket in place, seal it, but allow it to peel off it needed to be replaced. It is only permanent on porous surfaces where it can penetrate the materials.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit