Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: using coffee filters as skimmer socks?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pittsburgh, PA

using coffee filters as skimmer socks?

I have been using knee highs as skimmer socks for two weeks now but I am wondering if anyone has used a finer mesh with any success. I immediately thought of the large coffee filters used in commercial coffee makers. Are the skimmer socks available at the pool store finer than knee highs? Just wondering if anyone has any experience using anything else.

AG 15,500 gallons, cartridge filter, heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Altoona, AL

Re: using coffee filters as skimmer socks?

I used to use the cheap knee highs from Wal Mart that come in the little plastic containers like used in childrens "quarter" machines. I ran out of them, but found a pair of more expensive panty hose with a run in them. I decided to cut them up and use them before making a trip to Wally World. I realized that the mesh was several times finer and they worked alot better than the cheap knee highs. They do cost more, but I guess it's true that you get what you pay for. This method is still cheaper than buying pool store skimmer socks. I can get at least 6 skimmer socks from each pair of hose.

I like the idea of using a coffee filter, I guess it would just depend on how well the water flows through it and will the chlorine eat it up? Please post your results if you try it.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: using coffee filters as skimmer socks?

A coffee filter would not work.