Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Serious Algaecide Overdose

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Eastern, MA
    Posts
    4

    Serious Algaecide Overdose

    I've got a bit of a pool issue that I was hoping someone could help me with.

    I got the pool tested on Sunday morning, it was clear and doing pretty well, but not holding chlorine too well.

    They recommended stabilizer, alkalinity increaser and hardness increaser. the same stuff we usually have to add when we have had to top the pool off with a significant amount of tap water (we had a tare over the winter and lost about 3000 gallons)

    PH was 7.2
    Free Chlorine was 3.6
    Copper was .2

    Alkalinity Hardness and CyA were all pretty low (i dont have the sheet in front of me)
    (I ended up purchasing 15 lbs of hardness increaser, 15lbs of alkalinity increaser and 4 lbs of chlorine stabilizer)

    So, I purchased the recommended chemicals, and an extra bottle of vinyl pool algaecide, returned home passed the directions off to my dad and drove the 2 hours back to work for the week.

    Fast forward to this morning. I got a call that he finished adding all of the chemicals I bought. Including all 32 oz of the algaecide that only required a 2 oz maintenance dose.

    So, Is the pool still OK to swim in with an... 18x overdose of copper-based algaecide? Its Life-Line Non-Foaming Algaecide copper based, for vinyl pools. (The local pool store's in-house brand)
    Do I need to add a metal / mineral remover and chemically start over to try and recover from this? What is the best course of action?? We're in the northeast (Eastern Massachusetts) and if this week is as hot as they're predicting it will stink to be without a pool, but I told him not to let anyone into the pool until we sort this out.

    Thanks for your help!
    - JoeIac
    14500 Gallon; 15x30x52" Oval; Above Ground; Vinyl Liner
    1.5 HP Hayward Pump Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,333

    Re: Serious Algaecide Overdose

    You're probably going to turn everybody's hair green but other than that it should be ok to swim in.

    The only way to remove copper is to drain a percentage of the water.


    P.S. We don't recommend adding algaecide except in very special circumstances.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Eastern, MA
    Posts
    4

    Re: Serious Algaecide Overdose

    ok, thanks!

    I never usually add algaecide, but the pool felt a little slimy last time I went in it and we had two pool parties in a pretty short span of time, so I figured a small dose wouldn't hurt

    Our water is municipal (MWRA) so its pretty high quality, but for every gallon we use we pay for it, and for sewage for it (no pool filling or outdoor watering exceptions - believe me we tried) so it looks like a swim at your hair's own risk sign is in order (joking)
    14500 Gallon; 15x30x52" Oval; Above Ground; Vinyl Liner
    1.5 HP Hayward Pump Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •