Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool control readings vx. Strips readings for salt in SW poo

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool control readings vx. Strips readings for salt in SW poo

I have been trying to test accurately but am stumped on measuring the salt content of my pool.
    I have an AquaRite Goldline Controls panel which reads quite differently from the salt testing strips I purchased from TFP. The Control panel read approximately 400-500 ppm higher than the test strips.
    Which should I believe?

Thank you,
    Susan

SWG; IG; 17,200G; Sand; Hayward S244T, 1.5 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool control readings vx. Strips readings for salt in SW

Both and neither. All of the salt tests are +-400 ppm, so getting results that differ by 400 or 500 is about what you would expect.

If the AquaRite is reading lower, it is worth doing a visual inspection of the cell, looking for any white crusty deposits. Anything like that should be cleaned off.

AquaRite units will read salt lower than actual when the cell is getting old and is about to fail, when the cell has calcium scaling, and when the water is cold (below 60 degrees).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool control readings vx. Strips readings for salt in SW

The AquaRite is reading higher than the strips. The cell is almost new. So I was just wondering....I will accept a 400 ppm either way then. Thanks!
    Susan

SWG; IG; 17,200G; Sand; Hayward S244T, 1.5 HP