Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bleach ph rise

1. Back To Top    #1

bleach ph rise

how much bleach raises the PH by what amount?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: bleach ph rise

The stock answer is that bleach is PH neutral (PH goes up when bleach is added, but back down as the chlorine is consumed) but there can be an issue of excess lye so it's going to depend a bit on the brand of bleach and it's quality. Chemgeek did a nice right up on some of that here -http://www.troublefreepool.com/post190888.html#p190888

The other half of the "Bleach PH rise" coin is your TA. TA acts as a PH buffer but also acts as a source of rising PH. Most pools are chlorinated with TriChlor pucks which are acidic and mask the affects of TA PH rise. When users switch to bleach they loose this source of acid but assume the PH rise has to do with the bleach.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

If I bring the ta up with baking soda will the ph follow with out the need for sodium carbonate?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can use the Pool Calc's 'effects of adding chems' section to figure how much it'll affect pH.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Adding baking soda is not a good way to adjust PH. Baking soda has very little effect on the PH. I have no idea what you mean when you say "need for carbonate".
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School