Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused over mustard algae

1. Back To Top    #1
    East Texas

Confused over mustard algae

"Yel/Mstrd Min" is 15% of the CYA level"

Ran across that in reading up on killing mustard algae, and I have no idea what it means or what it is worth. I understand the shock value of 60% of CYA value but have no idea what good the 15% minimum as referenced to mustard value represents. When would that be used and what for?

Related question: Why is it recommended to bring the pool to normal shock value for 24 hours before proceeding to the "upgraded" level for mustard algae? Why can't you just go straight to MAXIMUM!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Confused over mustard algae

It means that if you haven't completely killed off yellow/mustard algae everywhere in the pool (including behind light niches and under removable ladders) and on anything that would get into the pool (polls, swimsuits, etc.), then you'd need to maintain an FC that was 15% of the CYA level to keep it from growing in the bulk pool water. Yellow/mustard algae is about twice as resistant to chlorine as regular green algae. Such a high chlorine level is often impractical since its more costly to maintain so it is better to completely get rid of the yellow/mustard algae after which one can maintain the more economical FC level that is 7.5% of the CYA level (or 5% for saltwater chlorine generator pools).

When shocking a pool with yellow/mustard algae, you could go straight to the maximum if you wanted to. I'd recommend getting the pH quite a bit lower at first since the pH will rise a lot when using a hypochorite source of chlorine (it will come back down when the chlorine level drops after you are done shocking).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"