PH rise?

Jul 16, 2010
Newark, DE
I'm stumped on why my PH keeps rising from 7.4 to 7.8!!! Every week, I have been adding 15-17oz (Muriatic Acid) to bring the PH back down to 7.4 and what do ya know, we never stay put!!! Hopefully someone here can help me understand why this keeps happening. I use around 50oz. of bleach every evening after I run my water test.

FC= 3
PH= 7.8
TA= 100
CH= 200
CYA= 40

Re: PH rise

Try going to pH 7.2 when you adjust pH. Your TA is still a bit high and if your pool has much aeration, as in a spillover spa, or jets that break the surface of the water, that agitation combined with the TA drives pH up quickly.

I have all those, and now with TA at 70, ph is much less of a problem. That is, we add acid every 3rd or 4th day.

TA buffers your PH but it also acts as a source of rising PH. Most pools are chlorinated with TriChlor pucks which are acidic so most places will recommend a highish TA (100 or so). Since you are using bleach you dont have this source of acid and must compensate with MA.

As Anon mentioned - if you were able to drive your TA down to 80 or even 60 you may find your rising PH problem gets better.

You can also consider adding borates to your pool. This wont affect the total amount of acid you add over time, but will slow the rise in PH.

What;s the TA of your fill water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.