Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH rise?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Newark, DE

PH rise?

I'm stumped on why my PH keeps rising from 7.4 to 7.8!!! Every week, I have been adding 15-17oz (Muriatic Acid) to bring the PH back down to 7.4 and what do ya know, we never stay put!!! Hopefully someone here can help me understand why this keeps happening. I use around 50oz. of bleach every evening after I run my water test.

FC= 3
    PH= 7.8
    TA= 100
    CH= 200
    CYA= 40
    12,000 gallon 15'-30'AGP (Cartridge Filter) SPECK 1.5 hp (Pump) TAYLOR 2006 (Test Kit)

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: PH rise?

A pint a week? Hah! That's child's play. You are not alone...

My guess is you have hard water. You probably also get a lot of aeration from kids. Or a slide.

Keep plugging away at it, eventually your pool will settle down into the sweet spot where pH flatlines for a week or two at a time. Although every time you add water, you disturb that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: PH rise

Try going to pH 7.2 when you adjust pH. Your TA is still a bit high and if your pool has much aeration, as in a spillover spa, or jets that break the surface of the water, that agitation combined with the TA drives pH up quickly.

I have all those, and now with TA at 70, ph is much less of a problem. That is, we add acid every 3rd or 4th day.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Glendale, CA

TA buffers your PH but it also acts as a source of rising PH. Most pools are chlorinated with TriChlor pucks which are acidic so most places will recommend a highish TA (100 or so). Since you are using bleach you dont have this source of acid and must compensate with MA.

As Anon mentioned - if you were able to drive your TA down to 80 or even 60 you may find your rising PH problem gets better.

You can also consider adding borates to your pool. This wont affect the total amount of acid you add over time, but will slow the rise in PH.

What;s the TA of your fill water?
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Clearwater, FL.

My pool did the same thing. See link here:
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.