Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backswimmers get me out of trouble please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Backswimmers get me out of trouble please!

Well now that our pool stays crystal clear all the time my wife has nothing to complain about or at least i thought ! she got bit by a back swimmer today seems like there are only a few in the pool everyday it is Borated 50 PPM is there anyway to keep the little guys out?
    Steve Frakes
    15' X 48'' Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter 16'' 2650 GPH
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backswimmers get me out of trouble please!

Really, no. Proper chlorination is the best that you can do. Scoop the little buggers out with the leaf rake as you are able to.

3. Back To Top    #3

I hate bugs too! That's why I have bought an extra skimmer that I keep poolside just for this reason. The first thing I do when I get in is go around the pool scooping out all the unwanted junk (I have lots of pine trees next to my property so there is always a lot of needles), then I throw it in the skimmer that I leave the top off of just for this reason. Sometimes I like to "lead" them to the skimmer by splashing them over there. It's right up there with the bug zapper! See ya later bug!
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Hayward SharkVac XL cleaner; Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys i figured there was no magic cure other than scooping them up!
    Steve Frakes
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

5. Back To Top    #5

I am having the same problem! Them little bugs hurt! Guess I will just have to skim and skim some more...
    17K gal, AG, Hayward Sandfilter, new to the BBB method.

6. Back To Top    #6

I've had good luck running the pump overnight. I don't know why that helps, but if I notice them in the pool I just let the pump run all night and it seems to get rid of them.

I've read that they are attracted to light, so I've wondered about putting a floating light in the skimmer to try to encourage them to get close.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

randa and steve,

Neither of you report your FC levels but most folks (including me) find that adequate chlorine makes an unfriendly environment for the little devils.

Test your CYA and FC and bring your FC up to the upper side of normal for a few days. I would bet two cold brewskis the backswimmers will move out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I keep my FC at 8 and the beer does help! LOL I would rather be complaining about the bugs than the algea

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I keep my FC at 8
    Uh-oh! it sounds like I might owe you those beers!

What's your CYA? Do you live in a state where the backswimmers are particularly cantankerous?
    Dave S.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have been adding stabilizer and I think I have it up to 50 now. It seems like all bugs are much worse this year in southern Indiana. First it was the biting gnats, now vampire mosquitos! My bug zapper bulb burnt out so I dont know if that has any effect on the water bugs, but I am going to get a new bulb asap.

11. Back To Top    #11

Dave, I live in Missouri so we are in the really hot part of the summer. My cya is 70 i check my chlorine level every evening and raise it to 9 ppm witch will be back to about 5 the next evening during the hottest part of the year .

They haven't really been bad since i borated earlier in the season we only seem to have 3 or 4 brave ones everyday!
    Steve Frakes
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Well, the obvious answer to me is to come on down to North Carolina. I usually have a few in the spring when I start to clean up but the first shock process starts and they are gone! I can't remember a season where I've even seen one after April.

We always have room for a couple more midwesterners down here and I will provide way more beer than just a couple if your just an hour or so away.
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

Dave, That might work i need to order some refills tonight and the shipping would also be faster if i moved down there....
    Steve Frakes
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

14. Back To Top    #14

You know, a few drops of soap would likely handle it. Not enough to suds up, but just enough to break open the surface tension.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    You know, a few drops of soap would likely handle it. Not enough to suds up, but just enough to break open the surface tension.
    Maybe for a few minutes until the filter removed it, especially if it's a sand filter.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by rastoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    Maybe for a few minutes until the filter removed it, especially if it's a sand filter.
    So... a little Dawn dishwashing detergent should kill Backswimmers AND clean the sand! A Win-Win!!
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

17. Back To Top    #17

I had a few of the boatman last week in the super high heat we had. I noticed one backswimmer. It is easy to know which is which apart from the one swimming on its back. The backswimmers will chase after you! The boatman will swim away from you or anything you use to try to catch them. Anyhow, I googled them both and invariably, proper sanitation is the issue. My pool was crystal clear but as it happened my CYA was low and my FC was getting burned away.
    Added CYA, and shocked for three days. Levels are normal and bugs are gone. No algae, no bugs.
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

18. Back To Top    #18

We had the backswimmers pretty bad last year. So what I did was I filled a bucket with water and Dawn dishsoap. I then took my skimmer and as I skimmed out the bugs, I quickly dumped them in the soapy bucket where they died. You have to do it quickly because those little buggers will hop off the skimmer very quickly. As others of said, shocking helps too.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

19. Back To Top    #19

We just went through a bout with them... I couldn't figure out what was wrong, because we read online that they like algae, but I try to keep the pool and or near the FC for our CYA level, but we realized that we hadn't swept the liner in several weeks, and there was some dirt and debris that had collected in a couple spots. We also figured we weren't diligent enough in keeping FC up ALL the TIME... like the BBB method says.

I swear I would put the net in at one spot and get 20-30 swimmers - I was shocked. Our process was threefold:
    1) Diligently scooping them out and killing them over a couple nights (effectively halting reproduction!),
    2) Sweeping the walls and floors, and vacuuming everywhere weekly at minimum (removing food source),
    3) Keeping FC up at the target level for my CYA level - daily (poisoning their habitat)
    (CYA= 50, so target FC is 6ppm; I would let it fall below that in the recent sunny days we had potentially caused the problem.)

And it has really gotten rid of the problem. I may find one bug once in a while, but it's so much better than it was, that I'm happy to scoop out one bug every few days. They are goners and the water looks sparkly!

Choots