Thread: Pump priming & flow through IC20

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump priming & flow through IC20

New pool. Equipment:
    TA60 sand filter
    IC20 intellichlor
    VS-3050
    3 lines coming into pump - Skimmer 1, Skimmer 2, & Main drain

Would get help from pool contractor but can't currently. Long story.

Problem - I was keeping VS-3050 @ "2" speed setting. Red low flow indicator lighting up on IC-20. Removed IC-20. Cleaned out some debris. Resultant air in line. Have to re-prime.

Filled filter basket of pump with water. Ran pump on speed "4". Pump primed with little to no air in pump basket viewer. Bled air from filter. Flow light green on IC20.

Within 1-2 days, water level in pump drops with increase in amount of air. Turn pump off and then back on speed 4. Air removed again and works. But then this happens again in 1-2 days. Then get red low flow light on IC-20.

Why does air slowly creep back into pump? We have a separate spa with separate VS-3050 pump. Doesn't happen to spa. Any easy fix?

Also going on vacation for a week. When this happens, I always increase pump speed and remove air. Haven't let this go on for a week. My concern - pump fills with air over 1 week. Can this happen, damaging pump?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump priming & flow through IC20

Running the pump for a long time without any water passing through can damage the pump.

Air can come from a bad seal on the pump strainer basket lid, or water too low in the skimmer allowing a vortex to form that draws in air, or from a leak in the plumbing.

At relatively low pumps speeds air can also come from outgassing from dissolved gasses in the water, but that does not normally accumulate enough to cause a loss of prime.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump priming & flow through IC20

Can I leave the pump off for 10 days? What consequences?