Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae question

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae question

Why does some algae make pool water turn totally green, even dark, murky green, while in other pools the algae will just grow on the walls and bottom while the pool water stays clear and blue?
    Howell, NJ
    24'x52" Round AGP, j-hook liner, resin frame, 1 hp pump, sand filter, new fill well water (6/7/2011).
    14,600 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Algae question

A totally green pool indicates algae that has been left to grow unchecked. All algae starts out as a little greenish patch on the walls or as water that is a little cloudy.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Additionally, I have read that there are around 7,000 different species of algae.....each with there own characteristics.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Interestingly when I get algae it tends to be crystal clear water... no green on sides, bottom or steps, and typically I will notice it floating in the water! If I look closely I will then see some on the plastic of the skimmer inside the pool!
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater