Air bubbles in pump basket/losing prime

VA

May 24, 2007
Baldwin City, Kansas
I have a 33,000 Gal in-ground gunnite pool, a Triton II sand filter, Sta-Rite Dyna-Glas 1 1/2 HP pump. When operating the pump with both the skimmers and main drain open, there are air bubbles in the pump basket and I lose prime when I shut the pump off. I noticed yesterday that if I close the skimmer line, the pump basket has no bubbles, and I am able to start the pump without the need to prime.

In reviewing other posts and comments, I understand that air is getting in the line. There are a couple of points where water drips from the plumbing and pump basket. Would these be the source of the air leaks? If so, I don't understand why I don't have the loss of prime issue when only the main line is open.

Any thoughts and advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

One of the skimmers did start swirling and sucking water yesterday when I was trying to restart after losing prime. This is what prompted me to turn off the skimmers, and learned that with the main line only open, I didn't have air in the lines.

Weir? Are you talking about the skimmer flaps/doors?

This happened to me and the problem was that the skimmer door (weir?) was getting stuck and not allowing water to freely enter the skimmer. There was some dried cement (gunite or grout) on the edges of the door that caused the door to stick. It only took the door staying closed for a second for air to get into the system and for the pump to lose its prime. I scraped off the small amount of cement on the edges of the door and haven't had a problem since.

The garden hose is running in the pool as I write this. Hopefully, that will solve the air in the lines that I was experiencing even before the "vortex experience". I love an easy fix!! I'm headed out to carefully inspect the skimmer doors. Thanks for your time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.