Best Booster Pump

Dalandlord

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2011
Do any of you guys have a recommendation on a new 3/4 hp booster pump. I put a new pump on it when I remodelled the pool about 4 years ago and replaced it about 18 months ago. Is this normal not getting two years out of a booster pump? I have purchased Polaris PB4 pumps on the last 2 but if anyone knows of a better pump please let me know.

Almost all I get in the pool is sand and silt and it does pick up some of it with the sand and silt bag but if they only last less than 2 years I am starting to wonder if I should just manual vacuum the pool all the time.

Any recommendations on a better pump, or at least one with a better warranty, and a cheap place to buy one please let me know.

Thanks

I bought the first one when I remodeled the pool after buying the house which was a Katrina damaged by saltwater flooding. I replaced that one after what must have been about 2 1/2 years. I don't remember what was wrong with that one. I do remember I took it to the local pool store and they told me they no longer repaired booster pumps. So I bought one on eBay. That was 11/2009. When I pulled it out the middlemofmlst week the bearings were screaming and the seal was leaking.

I brought it to a motor shop after they told me a minor repair, bearings and seals, would be $79 plus tax. Now they called and said the motor was bad and everything in the pump but one part was bad and for about $250 and tax they can make it jus like new. Which is more than a new one.

I am going to pick it up tomorrow as I have little trouble with the motor is bad and it was still running. Although I guess it is possible the housings are bad from severe bearing failure ruining the bearing journals and the winding is still good but I'll find out when I get there. November 2011 till now is what 19-20 months? Not good, eh. The pumps are out in the weather, should I get those little pump houses for them?

Thanks bud.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.