Changing chlorine and pH levels

Test Results:
    FC 0.9
    CC 0.0
    pH 8.2
    Hardness 250
    Akalinity 120
    CYA 110

Should I manage one factor first? Do you recommend I adjust the CYA? If so, when?
    23 K Gal
    DE
    IG
    gunite
    2 Hp Pentair pump
    Filter: DE Nautilis FNS 60

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing chlorine and pH levels

You need chlorine. Right away. First order of business, prevent an algae bloom.

For CYA at 110ppm, you need 15ppm chlorine in there right now. Check it tonight again and then add enough bleach to get back to 15ppm, do this every day (evening). Tomorrow night you shouldn't need as much bleach as you do right now because it shouldn't be much lower than 9ppm after your day of swimming/sun.

Consider draining about 60% and refilling.

PH also needs to be addressed. Use the pool calculator and add acid to reduce ph to ~7.4. Maybe do ph first, because once you get the chlorine above 10ppm your test won't be accurate. But do ph w/acid and then immediately add bleach.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

3. Back To Top    #3

First off, I would replace some water in order to get the CYA down. Unless you are running a SWCG, your CYA should be between 30 and 50 ppm.

After replacing water to control CYA, check your pH. It should be between 7.2 and 7.8.

Add chlorine based on your level of CYA as indicated in Pool School on the chlorine/CYA chart.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I ran to the store and added the bleach and muriatic acid. I'll continue to monitor it and treat it this week. I live in Galveston and we are on level 2 water restriction, so I'll wait until thurs to drain/fill the pool.

I usually keep better track of the pool, but I left town in a hurry about 10 days ago and the chlorine wasn't re-supplied.

I used to get really worried when I had a problem with the pool, but now I know I can get reliable answers quickly and that make life easier. Thanks again.
    23 K Gal
    DE
    IG
    gunite
    2 Hp Pentair pump
    Filter: DE Nautilis FNS 60