Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH and TA won't move

1. Back To Top    #1

PH and TA won't move

Have had new 48"x27' AG is service for a week. It was filled with deep-well water which has no issues with scale or iron. After three days to fill the 17,200 gallons or so, it was crystal clear. For startup added two 3" tabs, 1 bottle algicide and 1 pack of shock. Ever since test strips show PH and TA pegged high and total FC pegged low. In the course of the week I have added almost five quarts of muratic acid and added 1 to 2 3" chlorine tabs per day. Readings never change. I am WAY out in the country and getting a water test would require quite a drive. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH and TA won't move

Do you have a fountain in the pool?

It would be beneficial if you had a good test kit where you could get your numbers on your own. Besides, I trust my own testing more than the 18 year old at the pool store.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

You're a prime candidate for one of the 2 test kits recommended in pool school.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I was looking at the TF-100 kit. What I didn't see, unless I just missed it, was how long the kit will last assuming 1 set of tests per day.

5. Back To Top    #5

With average use it should last perhaps 2+ years, though that obviously varies quite a bit depending on how often you test, what your levels are, and if any special problems come up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

As others have alluded to, you need to be able to accurately test your water. The fact that you are so remote in your location makes it that much more important that you make the purchase of one.

The TF-100 kit is not available in any store. It must be purchased online at www.tftestkits.net. It is the best kit and the best value out there. Delivery is rapid. Please give serious consideration to purchasing one.

7. Back To Top    #7

After the initial purchase, I've spent $25 to $45 a year for replacement chemicals. Way cheaper than strips, since I test year round.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi volcamp, Welcome to TFP!
    Those strips your using don't have a very good reputation for being very accurate.
    A $15-$20 OTO drop test kit from wally world is a lot better than strips!
    I use the TF-100 kit and this kit made me the boss of my pool and now my pool does what it's told and behaves! My pool is perfect all the time now with very little time to keep it this way too!

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh by the way, while waiting for your kit, Read in Pool School. (link at the top of page)
    This will help you understand what, how and when, with using your TF-100 test kit.
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome Volcamp! I can't stress enough the addition of a good test kit to add to your pool equipment. I just joined TFP this year and purchased the TF100XL. Best investment I have ever made concerning my pool. My pool looks better than ever. Nice and sparkly! I couldn't have gotten these results without my kit and it is money I would have otherwise spent at the pool store. (Bye Bye Pool Store) The ONLY thing I have went to the pool store for is a new o-ring for my pump basket. If you do decide to purchase one of the recommended kits on this site, grab up the Speedstir if you can. It's way cool and makes testing much easier and fun. I'm pretty easily entertained though.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree that without precise testing it is sort of like walking in the dark.

If your TA is anything like ours (240 out of the tap, city water from a well) 5 quarts is nothing. I'm on my second gallon of MA. Water tested today at 195 and ph is 7.6.

Use the pool school calculator. For us, it was the same as the pool stores recommendation for lowering TA.

Good luck!
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just got my TF-100 and read through the info. My water looks GREAT, but conducted first test and boy the numbers are not good!! CH is at < 0.5, PH is > 8.2 and TA is 180. I am going to start trying to digest the info in BBB for beginners, but if anyone wants to throw a bone my way in te meantime, this newbie would apprciate it.

13. Back To Top    #13

Post all #'s and we'll comment

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Congrats on your kit!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

OK here's the numbers:
    FC: .5
    PH: 8.2
    TA: 180
    CH: 30
    CYA: Must be 0 as dot never disappeared
    (Didn't see the need to do CC as my FC nums are so low. Is that proper thinking?)

I'm guessing my first move would be to add MA to drop TA and then airate to see where my PH goes? I'm assuming I need to get some stabilizer in there right away and some bleach?

15. Back To Top    #15

You're right about adding acid, but not for the TA. The pH is what you need to work on first. Get it down to about 7.4.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

BR...Yeah, I thought that was backwards even as I was typing it. I added about 3/4 of a gal of MA as that was all I had. The pool calc said to add 72 oz. I have not stocked in my supplies yet, so will make a store run after work tomorrow and run another test to see where I'm at. Should I be adding a stabilizer now?

17. Back To Top    #17

Well, when doing the FAS/DPD test, always test FC and CC.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Yeah you should add enough CYA to get to about 30 ppm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Checked my numbers this evening. TA had moved down slightly to 140, PH really came in well to 7.4 and TC up to 1.5. Ran the pool calc and added 1/2 gal bleach and 3 lbs of stabilizer after a good vac and backflush. Real interested to see what tomorrows numbers look like.