AG Pool Installation Questions

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
We got a 15x30 AG pool (used) a few weeks ago. I will be setting it up next spring. I am an experienced DIYer and have been looking over the instructions. I know I have some time to plan, but if 2 people are required or it makes things a lot easier, I can get my FIL to help. I just need to plan for installing it when they are here in early spring.

Another question I had, the pool wall is rolled up and strapped tight. I don't know where the holes for the side skimmer and return are cut. We will be getting a new liner. Assuming they aren't where I want them, can I patch them with riveted sheet metal and cut new ones?

The instructions are here:
http://www.sharkline.com/Matrix_YMOval_ ... _Mar08.pdf

thanks. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Re: Is Setting Up An AG Pool A 2-Man Job?

I'd definitely want another person or 2 around while putting up the pool wall, as you might have noticed - it's a little on the heavy side :wink:

The skimmer and return are close to the seam, just locate the seam ~ where you want the skimmer and return to be. If you don't like the placement you can always rivet a patch over the existing hole and cut your own elsewhere. It's better to use the existing holes but, if you want or need to move them, I can give you a couple tips to make it easier for you and protect the liner.

I edited the thread title to better reflect the contents of the thread. A couple more questions....

Is it a good idea to add a 2nd return to the filter lower down on the pool wall besides the side skimmer? I am thinking of a place to attach a vacuum or whatever. If so, any recommended location for height, where in relation to the skimmer, etc?

The pool has some metal vertical members at the midpoint of both long walls. Do I need to bond these? They will be covered by plastic. If so do I need to bond them just to each other or all the way back to the ground rod of my house?

Plan on having at least three to four more people to help - will make your life much easier with extra hands, especially if it is breezy the day you go to put up the pool. I had 4 inside and a couple helping on the outside and with a slight breeze I was almost wishing I had more help.

All metal parts of the pool should be bonded to the same ground that the pump is on. I'm no expert on this but, all pool equipment and metal within 5' of the pool should share a common ground so there is no 'differential' between the various parts.

With a large AG oval pool, I would opt for a second return (plumb them parallel so the one farther from the pump doesn't just 'dribble' while the closer one really pushes. My thought is to keep them both at the same height, your pool is shallow enough that you don't need to worry about low circulation.

If you want me to expound, I will :)

Ok, so that means I do need to bond and ground back to the ground rod since that is the same ground the pump is on.

I was gonna try this with me, my FIL and probably my wife but could recruit another 1 or 2 people if needed.

More questions I've read the installation instructions a few times. They don't mention it but is there any advantage to setting the metal uprights of the pool on something like compacted stone dust or gravel, or is the regular old clay we have here good enough? They do say to put pavers under the outside foot, I am wondering if gravel would do the same thing.

Bonding and grounding are two separate things. There should be a loop of #8 awg bare wire ran around the pool. Some places require that you bond to the frame in at least 4 places even though the NEC does not on non-metal walled pools. That same wire should extend to every piece of metallic equipment that touches the water (pump, swcg, heater, etc) and everything metal within 5' of the inside pool wall, but isn't required to be grounded.

You need to use the pavers under the feet. gravel will allow the feet to sink into the ground and the pool will become unlevel and unstable.

Bump!!!

I will be finally installing the pool next month - I got the area graded out last week. After doing some reading, the high level overview is going to be set up and level the bottom of the frame, run a bonding wire and bond it, bring in the sand, then install the wall and the rest of the frame. I have a question on leveling the sand inside... how to do this and get out while ending up with a smooth level finish inside the pool? Also, what kind of radius am I looking for around the outside where the sand will be up against the wall?

crokett said:
I have a question on leveling the sand inside... how to do this and get out while ending up with a smooth level finish inside the pool?
One way is to smooth the whole pool bottom with at broom, finishing near the side, then you get out and lean over the edge and smooth out your remaining footprints.
crokett said:
Also, what kind of radius am I looking for around the outside where the sand will be up against the wall?
Pool coves are typically ~ 6 inches. Your liner installation instructions should specify what will meet their requirements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A couple more questions on bonding. I got some #6 copper to do the bonding. I will run it around the pool and use bonding lugs on the metal legs. Do I also need to bond the metal wall? I did some reading from the NEC and it calls out all metal parts, but then gives a list that doesn't include the metal wall. I also haven't inspected the pump that closely yet. It has the factory 3-prong plug. I am not sure it has bonding lugs on it. If it doesn't should I run the bonding wire all the way back to the ground rod for the house?

You will need to connect the bond to the wall if it's not inherent in the pool design. The manual will state that it is if it is.
Your pump will have a bonding lug on an external part of the pump. Most likely the motor.
You should not run the bonding wire to the house ground. Grounding and bonding are two separate things. The NEC now allows the bond to be grounded but doesn't require it.

Thanks. I know grounding and bonding are different things. I should have asked after I bond the metal parts of the pool to each other do I need to attach it to the house ground somehow. The manual doesn't mention bonding or grounding at all. I will call the manufacturer and ask.

I understand that. However if for some reason the pump doesn't have bonding lugs that is why I asked about grounding the bonded pool back to the house. My only experience with pool pumps is the little one that came with our old seasonal pool.

The Intex ones don't have a provision for bonding because they're not designed to be powered when someone is in the pool. Pumps designed to be permanently installed will have a bonding lug. If it doesn't, you need to take it back and get it fixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.