Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valve Actuator - UK?

1. Back To Top    #1

Valve Actuator - UK?

Looking for a 2 way or 3 way valve actuator at a reasonable price (ie. <£200) to control the flow through solar matting. Any suggestions?
    12ft x 24ft x 4ft inground vinyl, 32,000 litres, 3 phase 1.25hp Waterco pump on DIY VFD for cheap variable speed. 18kW Heat pump, Lacron sand filter, Solarmatt, 10kW Solar PV

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Valve Actuator - UK?

You are about £400 adrift of an actuator valve, maybe a solenoid/diaphram type would do, that just in your budget.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, that is what I was afraid of! They seem to be < $150 in the US for the Jandy actuator. Can these be fitted to a normal ball valve? I can cope with the 24v control.
    12ft x 24ft x 4ft inground vinyl, 32,000 litres, 3 phase 1.25hp Waterco pump on DIY VFD for cheap variable speed. 18kW Heat pump, Lacron sand filter, Solarmatt, 10kW Solar PV

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Why not just have one sent over. Every pool builder has a few of these on the shelves.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks - getting one from the US may be the best idea. DO the valve actuators fit on a standard ball valve like this one, or do I need to get a Jandy valve also?

http://www.1st-direct.com/1-534;-double ... etails.htm

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

No, you will need to get a jandy, or pentair valve.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Any thoughts on whether this PVC irrigation valve would be up to the job?

http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalo ... alves.html

Details here
    http://www.irritrol.com/pdf/sellsheet_200B.pdf

Spec statement here
    http://www.irritrol.com/specifications/specs_200b.pdf

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

That is what I had in mind when I posted solenoid valve, I haven't personally tried it but the nice people at City irrigation are 10 mins up the road from me so I have spoken to them about utilising the valves.
    Give it a try..

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. I've ordered one. I'll update once I've installed it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Finally got around to testing the 2 port irrigation valve, and as a valve it works fine...

However, I have plumbed it so that when it is open it "shorts" the solar heater feed and return pipework.

Unfortunately I only get a small flow rate through the valve when open. The path of least resistance is actually through the solar heater and back to the pool return.

To do properly I need two 2 port valves, with the opening of the flow through the solar heater synchronised with the closing of the valve for the solar bypass. This would not be safe as a malfunction in the opening valve would stop the water flow completely.

So back to square one and trying to get a 1.5" three port diverter valve with an actuator for a reasonable cost. Anyone like to give me a price for US shipping to UK?

thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

To update this thread in case anyone else in the UK is looking for a 3 way valve.

I ordered a Jandy Neverlube 3 way valve from a US ebay seller who had reasonable shipping charges to UK.

I ordered an Intermatic valve actuator from a seller on Amazon.com (not amazon.co.uk). Again the shipping charges were reasonable.

I already had a 24 VAC transformer I could use, but these are readily available on ebay as CCTV power supplies.

All now installed and working well.

One issue - UK pool pipe is normally ABS, however the Jandy valve is CPVC. The instructions state to only use "universal" glue and solvent. I couldn't find this anywhere online in the UK, so I ended up taking the risk and using normal cleaner, and normal Weld-On 725 glue. These do NOT say they are compatible with CPVC. However the joints appear solid, and do not leak. I'll update this thread if that changes!