New pump for 14 ft. Summer Escapes framed pool

Jul 18, 2011
Good afternoon, I've been on the phone with General Foam trying to order a new pump for our pool. We've had it for just a couple weeks, but I'm not happy with the pump. We have the Intex salt system connected to it.

Constantly get a "low flow" message on the salt system, and the return doesn't appear to be forcing the water out as it should. There's not enough pressure to even vacuum the pool out.

I've bypassed the salt system to make sure it wasn't constricting the flow, but that didn't help.

Can someone help me select a decent replacement pump?

General Foam tells me that they have no pumps in stock and it will be at least another week before they get anymore.

They mentioned a 1000 gph pump, but I'd like something larger if that's possible.

My apologies for the N00b question, but there are no pool shops in my area and I've just emptied my pool to clean it out.

Much obliged,
jakeinga

Your current pump is less than 1000gph? Ouch!

Summer Escapes makes an acceptable 1000gph pump but it's noisy/ratttly, and 1000gph is not enough for that pool. I would not recommend buying a new 1000gph Summer Escapes pump. I currently am running two 1000gph pumps on a 15x48 metal frame Intex. Flow is great but filtering leaves much to be desired. Waiting for Walmart to get my bundle to the store so I can pick it up. I plan to possibly still use one of the 1000gph pumps with the sand filter, maybe.

Walmart may is still offering the combo SWG and Sand Filter w/1600gph pump for $169 plus a $50 walmart gift card. Excellent deal. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Bundle/17013275

Summer Escapes and Intex equipment is interchangeable, no worries on that.

frogabog said:

Walmart may is still offering the combo SWG and Sand Filter w/1600gph pump for $169 plus a $50 walmart gift card. Excellent deal. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Bundle/17013275

That's sort of correct. We did some creative plumbing on ours. The motor fits on the bottom of our skimmer. I had to get creative and we took the impeller and a couple of other parts out of the motor to attach the hose for the new pump. We took the skimmer and hose with us to Lowe's and played with plumbing parts until my head hurt but this was far easier than anything we came up with. I found the adapter online since then.

frogabog said:

Summer Escapes makes an acceptable 1000gph pump but it's noisy/ratttly, and 1000gph is not enough for that pool. I would not recommend buying a new 1000gph Summer Escapes pump. I currently am running two 1000gph pumps on a 15x48 metal frame Intex. Flow is great but filtering leaves much to be desired. Waiting for Walmart to get my bundle to the store so I can pick it up. I plan to possibly still use one of the 1000gph pumps with the sand filter, maybe.

I thought my pump was 800, but the salesperson told me it was only 700.

She also mentioned that the pool could handle a 2000gph pump, but I have no idea whether that's true or not.

Thanks for the info regarding the Wal-Mart deal. I'll check it out.

Turns out the deal you posted is a bundle that includes the salt system, which I already have.

Just ordering that pump isn't possible, as they're out of stock.

Can you recommend another pump that would fit my pool?

I recommend keeping the SWG as a backup, or selling it on craigslist. One member has already sold theirs for $120. If you did the same that would give you a $10 sand filter and pump. Can't loose.

The sand filter and pump is normally $169, right? Might as well get the whole bundle IMO.

It's a free add on. Add the SWG, then click through to checkout, the total is $169 and then you get the $50 walmart card immediately via email.

I ordered this about 5 days ago. I used the $50 .com card to buy a regular walmart gift card that came in the mail last Friday.

Ah geez...just went to order after reading your post and now they're out of stock.

I really need to find a pump in the next couple days. Hopefully there's another one that will fit my pool.

Wouldn't mind one a little bigger if possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Found one on Amazon's 7th Avenue Store for $149 +free shipping. Gonna take a week to get here though. To expedite to 3-day delivery was going to be an additional $190.

So I'll be getting it next Tuesday.

Started filling the pool back up this morning. I hope it doesn't get too bad out of shape before the pump gets here.

As an aside, the sand isn't included. I understand it will need 55 pounds of sand. I'll be going out of town this Thursday, and will be passing by a pool shop. Is there any particular kind of sand to ask for?

Thanks for all the help,
jakeinga

You may be best off till the sand filter arrives to bypass the SWG and run the pump alone. After adding salt, you'll have to wait a day before starting it up anyway. With that small of a pump, the smallest restriction could reduce flow even more than it already is. That size pump is (loosely) designed for a very small pool.

There have been some threads in the past few weeks detailing sand for the Intex filters discussing particle size. IIRC there is a particular sand size that has to be used or it will flow through the filter into the pool. I will do some searching. I need to figure this out as well. Walmart says it will be at the local store tomorrow. YAY!

So do you suppose I should go ahead and add the salt once the pool is filled back up?

Even with the SWG bypassed there is very little flow.

Keep me posted on that sand...I sure don't want to mess up a brand new pump!

Was able to get the pump installed last week.

Did not use the plunger valves that came with it, because my pool has a skimmer built into it. The old pump was mounted on the bottom of the skimmer, so I ordered a fitting to take its place.

Then on the return port, I didn't want to have to cut the hole bigger to allow for the plunger valve fitting.

So far it's doing great. Looking forward to trying the vacuum sometime this week.

Using the vacuum plate that came with the pool, I was able to hook the hose up and start vacuuming in no time.

Took 10 minutes to get all the trash off the pool floor.

Before I got this new pump, I'd fight with the vacuum for an hour. Would have to basically push the broom around the bottom, drop it and pick the net up to collect the debris.

I like this pump! I know it would drive the price up a bit, but if all Intex and Summer Escapes pools came with this pump they probably wouldn't have such a bad reputation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.