Finalizing pool spec/design in San Diego

MattM

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
I've been working on the design for roughly a month now and have been getting some feedback from possible contractors, but I thought I'd throw out the spec and a few questions here before getting into contracts.

16" x 34" Rectangular Gunite Pool with 4' FT Shallow End and 7' FT Deep End (we wanted pool just deep enough at end to allow some modest amount of jumping in by kids)
Blue Granite Pebble Sheen - 1 Skimmer, 2 Inlets, 2 Drains + hydrostatic, 1 suction - mx8 cleaner
PentAir VF Pump + IntelliChlor / IntelliChem + Quad DE 100 Filter (cartridge like)
~512FT of Solar Panel Heating (still working on which contractor and panel specs)
Pentair UltraTemp 120,000 BTU Refrigerant Heat and Cool Titanium Pool Heat Pump
Single IntelliBrite 5g Light

Automatic Safety Pool Cover with Encapsulated Recessed Under Track and Navy Blue Color
(cover will always be closed when not swimming or performing maintenance)

We plan to swim at least 3 times/week and sometimes more frequently from Mid February to Mid November. Our hope is that San Diego weather + the cover + solar + heat pump should allow this with minimal ongoing heating costs.
Also, during the height of summer, it would be helpful if we could have the solar panels cool the pool at night and/or if the pool is overheating during the day, have the heat pump work in reverse to cool.

We're not finicky about temperature.... Ideally the pool would be 82-88 degrees, but we'll swim in the high 70's or all the way up to 91 degrees or so.

I not 100% certain we need an automation system, but I can see the benefit of having something to show the status and any alarms for the pool w/o our having to go
out to the pool shed which will be on the side of the house. If we get a control system, it won't be the pentair easytouch as the interface just looks awful.
I'd also like to be able to see and configure everything via such a system so we'd probably be looking at the intellitouch i5+3s + load center + indoor control panel if that
is sufficient to the task (do we need the i9?). However, the vf pump and the solar / heat pump have some intelligence so I'm not sure we need the automation.

Since we don't have a spa and the san diego weather during our planned season is usually quite reliable, I believe the heat pump would make more sense than gas. Long
term, we'll also be putting in solar for the house itself so that might pay for the ongoing costs for the pump.

The above design is based on using pentair equipment which most of the contractors here seem to like, however a few like hayward which apparently has a longer warranty.
Assuming all goes as plan (knock on wood), we'll be using the pool until we die, so 30+ years..... are we going to wish we had gone with a supplier other than pentair?

Thanks in advance for any comments...

Just found out that Intelliflow VF pumps have issues with solar on 2 story houses and that the pentair variable speed pumps in general are optimized for low speeds.

We'll have 11 panels installed and I am guessing at the moment that each will require 5GPM, which means running much of the day at 55GPM which would likely place us somewhere in the 2k-3k rpm range.... and energy costs can be up to triple as a result...not sure if a 2 speed pump would be any better optimized for those speed or if the hayward pumps would have an advantage over pentair for solar applications (the solar guy I spoke to today seemed to be pushing hayward products).

How old are your kids?

A 4' shallow end seems a little deep. Mine is 3', but my son is only 1 year old. Had a party and even the under 8 year olds didn't go any deeper than 3'.

Sounds like a lot of solar heat. I have zero heating in my pool, but just filled it a couple weeks ago. Its a little cool, but been swimming in it since I filled it with the hose.

Running a pentair at about 3000 rpm will be about 1.5k - 2k watts, maybe more, if you are pumping up onto a roof. I run mine at about 1200 rpm and uses 150-175 watts and runs 24/7 at the moment.

Kids: 6 and 8 years old, they're relatively good swimmers for their ages...but good point, I should double check their height but we intend to do both recreation and lots of lap swimming so 3.5' seemed a little limiting especially as the kids regularly swim in the deep end when they go to the local gym pools...

Started to get final quotes for pool this week, but pricing seems relatively high overall:

Solar (550 ft of Heliocool panels w/ plumbing and install) - $6K
16 x 34 Pool Construction + filter/pump/demo/haul/coping/piping - $36K
Heat Pump - $5.5K
Pool Light - ~$500
Automation w/ Intellitouch + IntelliChem + Intellichlor = $5K
Automatic Safety Cover (Encapsulated/Undertrack/Walk On Tile) = $13.6K
Pebble Sheen Category 1 = $5.7K
Decking w/ Pavers = $10.8K
Stucco/Tiling back retaining wall near pool = $1.2K

Total = ~$84K

I'm sure there must be at least 10K in markup in here somewhere (the heat pump lists for under $3K online).
Is the safety cover pricing in the normal ball park?

MattM said:
Just found out that Intelliflow VF pumps have issues with solar on 2 story houses and that the pentair variable speed pumps in general are optimized for low speeds.

We'll have 11 panels installed and I am guessing at the moment that each will require 5GPM, which means running much of the day at 55GPM which would likely place us somewhere in the 2k-3k rpm range.... and energy costs can be up to triple as a result...not sure if a 2 speed pump would be any better optimized for those speed or if the hayward pumps would have an advantage over pentair for solar applications (the solar guy I spoke to today seemed to be pushing hayward products).

Off season you may need to run more of the day, right now my solar kicks in for less than an hour a day to keep 85 degrees here in SD. It all depends on how high you want the temp and for how long of the year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.