New to pools...

nikone

Jul 18, 2011
So i have anabove ground 15' round pool with a sand filter and a brand new hayward 1hp pump attached. The pump is just a few hours old, as the old pump was not priming or sucking in anything, nor did it turn.

I seem to have my water about a little less the half way into the skimmer.

The issue I am having is after I get the pump to prime and kick up after a short time it keeps loosing its prime, and I have to repeate the steps to get it to prime up again. My skimmer has a little crack in the back wall and the pool guy said it was an issue and I had to have it repaired but I am confident that thats not causing the problem as water is not leaking from it. With that being said I also am missing the basket for the skimmer so I know as soon as something large gets sucked into it its going to lose prime. So we are keeping away any large objects. As of right now I will head out a buy a new basket for now, but I want to know if the missing basket could be making it loose prime? Or maybe something thats lodged into the hose(i read on the forum that someone had an orange stuck inside the hose.). If I were to disconnected the hose from the pump I have water gushing out at me so I figure would have dislodged anything stuck inside I may be wrong. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!

_______

Edited to attach pictures

2.jpg

1.jpg

Most likely the pump is sucking in air from the skimmer. Raise the water level to about 3/4ths the way up the skimmer and see if that solves the problem. Also check to make sure the weir (flapper) is there and is working freely and properly.

Bama Rambler said:
Most likely the pump is sucking in air from the skimmer. Raise the water level to about 3/4ths the way up the skimmer and see if that solves the problem. Also check to make sure the weir (flapper) is there and is working freely and properly.

There is no flapper there now, and there is no basket all I have is the lid.
Could that be the issue?

The water is about all the way up now.

Bama Rambler said:
Yep, that could be it. The weir does two things. It floats just under the water to improve the surface flow and it prevents the skimmer from creating a vortex and sucking in air.

So being all intuative, I noticed a vortex happening, and as soon as I put my hand inside it stoped the vortex from spinning creating a perfect prime. So I am heading over to the pool suply house to get a basket and hope that would solve my issues. I am thinging by putting in the basket it will act as if my hand is there and stop the vortex!

I will keep you posted when I get back with my findings.

Well I am happy to report that my pump is keeping a prime I got 2 wrong sized baskets for the skimmer, solved the vortex issue. Yaay! No new skimmer. I also bought a Vinal Patch kit to repair the hole in the skimmer I think I am going to make it to actually enyoing the pool!

I am going to order the new wier and basket from the net since its working for now. Any good pool parts stores on the net someone would recommend?

Thanks for all your help till now you've been great!

____
Edit:

How do i know what make and model my skimmer is? I am trying to find the correct part!

Thanks again!

Welcome to TFP!!

There's a good chance that the skimmer model number (and brand) is imprinted on the lid. :cool:

I'm glad you solved your vortex/ priming issue :cheers:

A vinyl patch won't adhere to the plastic skimmer :( You are better off getting some 2 part epoxy putty to seal the crack.

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

There's a good chance that the skimmer model number (and brand) is imprinted on the lid. :cool:

I'm glad you solved your vortex/ priming issue :cheers:

A vinyl patch won't adhere to the plastic skimmer :( You are better off getting some 2 part epoxy putty to seal the crack.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

The only reason I wanted to use a vinyl patch is cause there is water in the skimmer and I really don't want to start to drain my pool now that I have all the chemicals balanced properly!

The only issue with looking at the lid of the skimmer is that the previous owner didn't leave me a lid to look at :mrgreen:
I bought a new lid, and from my little knowledge of pool equipment it should be a Hayward wide mouth skimmer, in which case I can also get a universal basket for the mean time. Until next year when I replace the entire skimmer.

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Re: New to pools...

woodyp said:
Only thing worse than not having a weir door is having one stuck in the "UP" position.

The Pool guy changed my weir without telling me and it was slightly too big for the skimmer housing causing it to get stuck up when the timer would kick the pump on.

Big deal to come home hearing the pump run dry. Argh!!!

Fixed it with a little file action and it hasn't happened again. Thank goodness

Sent from my Motorola_i1 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.