Replacing Pump?

May 17, 2010
Our pump is 12+ years old and started making noise like it was ready to seize up and stop running. Wondering if it's worth trying to fix or replacement would be best because of it's age? It's a Hayward Super II pump 3/4 HP 115/230 volts. We run 24hrs I think it's single speed. Do we need to replacce with the exact kind? Would a 2 speed be better and what brand would you recommend? Also have Hayward sand filter. I've searched on line and found one for $400 Hayward Max-Flo II. thanks

Changing out the motor is easy, takes about 20 minutes or less. It can usually be done without disconnecting any of the plumbing. Disconnect the electrical connection, remove the 4 bolts holding the motor to the pump body, .... There are step by step youtube videos on the subject.

Ike

As long as it is the right frame size and rated the same you should be ok with any brand, I think most Haywards use AO Smith motors. I bought a replacement motor from PoolPlaza.com a couple of years ago, their prices may not be the best online, but they do clearly tell you which motor fits which Hayward pump.

Ike

Call it a tale of 3 pumps ...

I've been a pool owner since we moved into this house in Nov 95 - our first pool, and we were completely clueless. Fortunately, we found a pool guy who was patient, and willing to teach us what to do.

Sometime back in the early days, (probably 1998 - 2000) the pump that was originally with the pool gave up the ghost - in the middle of the season, of course. We went down to pool guy's shop, and he got us the ubiqitous Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP model. This served us pretty well until...

Also originally with the house, it came with a hydrotherapy tub (sort of a poor man's jacuzzi, I figure). I tried it once - that didn't go well, so we gave up on that when we did a 2-bathroom renovation. The bonus - pump #2 in this tale - a Hayward PowerFlo .75 HP spa/ pool pump (Model Sp1510). Basically a pool pump, but no strainer basket. Also old enough that it ran only on 120V. I figured "what the heck - it's a possible pool pump for something maybe someday" , so I put it into storage (keep in mind this house was built in 1983 - Pump #2 was probably original to the house).

All was well with the SuperPump until I was opening the pool in May, when I noticed it was making significantly more noise than before. Kind of a mechanical screechy noise, like the bearings were getting ready to fail.

Pump was running fine, until Saturday June 26. I went out to turn on the pump, and I was greeted with ... the sound of silence. Checked power all the way - yep - all was go, except the pump wasn't running...

Further investigation about removing the superpump showed it was well tangled in a mat of roots and dirt - clear up to the motor case. It took 10-20 minutes of effort to finally get the Superpump clear and clear all the dirt / roots off the equipment pad (Lesson learned the hard way - keep your equipment pad clear every year). I remembered I had pump #2, so I dug it out. Did some looking at it, made a trip to Ace hardware for a plug and some PVC fittings, and by 5 PM Sunday afternoon - Pump #2 was all hooked up. Did a quick check that the pump would still run, then hooked up the plumbing. Plugged it in - at first - it wasn't pumping. So, I undid the union from the pump output, and primed it with a garden hose for a couple minutes, coupled the union back and plugged it in - after about 30 seconds to a minute - it started pumping water like a champ.

Further investigation of the SuperPump showed a badly rusted bottom of the motor case - it was so bad, that pieces were literally snapping off.

Time to go pump shopping. Fortunately, with pump #2 in place - I could afford to take some time and really shop for the best deal. Shopping at 4 local places - all of them were $400+ for a replacement 1.5 HP Superpump (or maybe a 1 HP SuperPump). Our old pool guy said he could rebuild the dead superpump with a new motor - for about $300.

Hit the internet - found a place that seemed to have some good prices. We finally settled on a PentAir SuperFlo 1.5HP (only $10 more than the 1 HP model). Ordered the pump, and started on fixing various electrical safety issues on my pool equipment. Did you know a GE 240V 2 pole GFCI breaker costs over $100 ?

The friday the pump arrived, one of my college buddys came down from DC for the weekend. Between the 2 of us, we got the panel fixed, the pool pump 240V fixed, a ground rod driven in and a proper ground finally put in shed where the pool pump,power came from. That GFCI breaker came the following monday or tuesday, and it was installed the same night.

So - In spite of having a perfectly fine and working (and now safer) poolpump situation well in hand - I do have some questions.

Is it worth getting a replacement moter for the Superpump and a few miscellaneous parts to get it fully operational again (to keep as backup if/when the PentAir quits) ? Or should we just put an ad up for "free Superpump - needs new motor" ? Would it be OK to use a 1HP motor instead of a 1.5HP motor ?

Would it have been "good enough" to just use the .75 HP pump (even without a strainer basket)? Is it worth hunting up the parts to put a strainer on it ?

Thanks for listening..

and thanks in advance for any answers..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.