Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need fence advice for keeping trespassers out

1. Back To Top    #1

Need fence advice for keeping trespassers out

Neighborhood kids have been climbing our fence at night to swim. We will be replacing current fence (5 feet tall) with a new one, which is at least 6 feet tall (maybe as tall as 8 ft).

Besides a taller fence, what type / style of fence is the most difficult to climb? Privacy and cost are less of a priority than keeping the trespassers out.

Thanks for your help. --Sam
    35,000gal IG gunite 20 x 40
    Hayward DE-6000 filter 120 gpm
    2 HP pump, fountain, well water
    Baytown,Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need fence advice for keeping trespassers out

I did an 8' at my last house, tried to find a picture but could not. It was boards laid side-by-side, with a cap at the top. Looked really good, especially after we stained it. If you do the boards on the outside, there'd be nothing to climb on to get to the top. I want to warn you though, unless your yard is very large, an 8' fence can make your yard feel a little clausterphobic. We had a 1/4 acre lot, and the fence made the back yard feel like a room instead of a yard.

If I find those pictures, I'll post one.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd invest in some motion lights and a surveillance system. Determined teenagers can figure a way to get over any kind of fence but it's a different story when you show up with a video of them doing so.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How about an electric fence to keep the raccoons and possums out of the yard? If it happens to shock some kid climbing the fence...Ooops

http://www.fishock.com/
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

5. Back To Top    #5

RobbieH, thanks for the ideas. Our yard is fairly big, and the pool is just one section. So an 8 ft fence should be OK.

Bama Rambler, I will probably do motion lights and a professional surveillance system too, but I figured I should improve the fence first to help limit my liability.

Nightmare, I already thought of this. Unfortunately, my city doesn't allow this.
    Baytown,Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

This type of fence is more difficult to climb. There are no footholds and you can't jump on top of it. I would think twice before I tried this fence with the spikes on top.

I had an AmeriStar Aluminum fence until we installed the pool, then I switched to a similar type of galvanized iron fence (cheaper). My fence was one of the desgins with a top rail instead of spikes (ECHELON PLUS 3-Rail).

http://www.ameristarfence.com/backyards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)

7. Back To Top    #7

Motion lights and a 12 guage will cost alot less then a new fence.

Any fence can be climed, burrowed under, or cut: Buy a fence that you think looks good, because most of them will do very little to keep determined people out.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

8. Back To Top    #8

Nightmare, thanks for the links. That definitely gives me some good ideas.

Texasdad, one of our challenges is that the pool is set back about 50 ft from the house, and I'm not positive I would always see the lights. I also wonder if they might just knock them out with rocks or whatever. But maybe I should give lights a try first since they're less expensive like you say.
    Baytown,Texas

9. Back To Top    #9

You might want to double check the Pool Barrier (fence) code in your area. You don't want to spend a bunch of money on a new fence and have any code problems after it's installed. My first AmeriStar fence was technically 2" too short to qualify for my code, but the inspector let it pass.

10. Back To Top    #10

Pretty sure H would choose to add razor wire over replacing a fence in such a situation.

Wonder if there's something you could put in the pool to brand them... purple dye? lol
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

11. Back To Top    #11

I would have a few motion sensors and a few lights wired together so that any movement lights up the entire backyard. Actually, I don't need that since I have an Alaskan Shepherd that lights up when any movement is detected
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

Maybe something like this would work. It says it has a long range and cannot be turned off by removing it from pool.

http://www.amazon.com/PoolGuard-In-Grou ... 292&sr=1-3
    35,000 gal, 3.5-9ft with diving board. Jandy CV580 filter, 2hp 2 speed motor, Pentair Ultra Temp 120 H/C heat pump. Pentair IC60 swg.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'm going to try a multi-faceted approach (fence, lights, etc.) I even found about these hunting cameras that could be good for photographing trespassers: http://www.trailcampro.com/firsttimebuyersguide.aspx
    Baytown,Texas

14. Back To Top    #14

Warning: Property Protected By Smith & Wesson 3 Nights A Week. You Guess Which Nights.

Warning: Guard Dogs

Motion lights with grates to protect the bulbs.

Best Solution:
    Get to know the kids. Invite them to swim. Take the "thrill" of getting away with it away.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.