I just finished treating an algae bloom

NOONIE

Jul 17, 2011
My first post...I just finished treating an algae bloom. Started treating Fri(15) and pool is now all blue Sun (17). I used Dolphin cleaner first to remone bloom on floor and walls. Cleaned about 90% after two passes. I then added 6 lbs cal hypo (FRI) and measured FC (6 hrs later) was 28 ppm using DPD-FAS.
This is first algae bloom I've had this year probably because of drought. When rains (daily) started last week algae started and daily afternoon showers washed algae from a large live oak tree that covers the shallow half of my 20X40 foot inground pool. I did super shock with low (7.0) pH to enhance chlorine efficacy.
My question....how do I prevent algae growth under above conditions and keep FC low enough for swimmer safety? No! Cutting tree not an option. More use of PolyQuat maybe?

Welcome to TFP!

You should follow the FC level recommendations in the Chlorine/CYA chart to find the appropriate FC level for your CYA level. FC levels between "Minimum FC" and "Target FC" are totally fine, and most people will swim any time FC is below "Shock FC".

There is no need to lower the PH when shocking if you have any CYA in the water. CYA changes the chlorine/PH relationship and makes the PH essentially irrelevant (as long as it is generally in range).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.