Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: return and skimmer placements

return and skimmer placements

We are doing a DYI inground 20x40 pool. It is going to be totally DYI (didn't see a smilie insert that was biting his nails)! We are trying to get a list together so we can order the kit this week and start the dig over the weekend. Can someone tell me the best number and placement for the returns and skimmers? The steps will run the width of the pool and be on the east end. With regards to the skimmers, in the summer the wind comes from the southwest.

We are considering:
    two floor drains
    three returns
    two skimmers
    something sprinkler or fountian like that sprays water into the shallow end for the little ones to play in
    one vacuum inlet
    something to wet a slide
    we will also having a diving board.

I know it is frustrating to have people ask the same old questions that have already been answered time and time again, but I have scanned through old post but haven't found my exact answer. Thanks for your help!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

Re: return and skimmer placements

At least one skimmer should be on the downwind side (i.e. northeast). The number of skimmers and returns ook ok to me.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

what about the returns? Does placement matter? We thought we would put one on the side of the steps, but what about the other two?
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

The best thing to do is post a drawing of the basic layout of the pool and let the experts look at it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The best thing to do is post a drawing of the basic layout of the pool and let the experts look at it.
    DITTO!

If you just hand sketch a layout and take a pic of it and post it, we'll be better able to propose a plumbing layout
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)