Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl Liner SWG Startup - Salt Damage

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl Liner SWG Startup - Salt Damage

Hello All.

I just received a Compupool SWG and I'm getting ready to salt the pool before installing the system. I have a 25k gallon in ground vinyl liner pool with around 4 years on the liner. I was wondering if dumping all this salt (around 700lbs) into the pool will damage the liner. I was thinking about disolving the salt bags in a 40 gallon trash can and then dumping it into the pool. ANy advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roland
    I got nothing right now

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl Liner SWG Startup - Salt Damage

Dump a couple/three bags at a time and brush it around till dissolved. Repeat as needed.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

You can just dump them right into the pool. The salt won't hurt anything.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

The salt shouldn't harm the liner but, just to be safe, I always walked it around the pool (~ 20' per bag). I'd Place 3, or so, bags at ~25' intervals around the pool then open and 'dump' the top bag from the first pile, open and 'dump' the top bag from the second pile...- sure it's 3 laps around the pool but, most of it dissolves before settling on the bottom. After all the bags are in, I brush up the little piles and wait ~24 hours (with the system running) before firing up the generator.

Please don't add the full 700 lbs all at once! Put in 620 Lbs and wait to see how the unit reacts when you turn it on - it's MUCH easier to add a little more salt than to try to get it out of the water!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the advice guys. I currently have 600lbs of salt going into the pool. A mixture of 1/3 Pool salt and 2/3 Water Softener (blue bag) salt. It seems to be disolving rather quickly. 360lbs is already in and I do another 120 after work today. I have not installed the SWG. That will most likely be a job for this weekend.

It's so freakin hot here in dallas that my cool deck is not cool and I don't really want to spend any time outside. My thermometers were reading 106+ on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
    I got nothing right now

6. Back To Top    #6

If it's too hot on the deck, hop in the pool

I'd hold off on adding more salt until your SWCG is up and running, so that you can be sure that you haven't added too much for it to run

Please keep us posted as to your progress
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)