3 Week old pool, I hope I'm doing this right??

blueskylove

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2011
Albuquerque New Mexico
First off I want to say this site is awesome!

Our pool is about 2 1/2 weeks old. I tried to brush it at least once a day the first week and then had to go out of town the second week for about 5 days, since being back I have brushed it once a day. I have never really seen any plaster dust while brushing, hope this is a good thing.

I know the ph was too high the first 2 weeks, my kit was saying 8 but that is the highest it goes. The pool builder was supposed to come and balance the chemicals right before I left the second week, but when I came back the ph was still reading 8 and the chlorine was only about .5

Since tuesday I have been able to keep the PH in the 7.3 to 7.8 range by adding Muratic acid daily. We have an automatic chlorine feeder with the pucks in it, but I have been adding bleach also to keep it in the 2 to 4 range. I just read yesterday that bleach in a new pool may not be right though :oops:

In the last week I have added 2 gallons of the liquid stabilizer to bring the CYA up, and 1/2 gallon of stain & scale2 from Leslie's, (we had what looked like dirt spots on our shelf, but it wouldn't scrub off) Hope this was ok to add.

Anyway here are my test results, I am thinking I need to bring the Calcium up, but want to be sure and get help from the experts here. Thanks!

PH 7.3
FC 3
TC 3
CC 0
CH 130
CYA Maybe 15, but I am not totally sure, I fill the small tube to the top and can still see the black dot a little
TA 110 or 120 (at 11 drops the liquid changes from green to clear at 12 drops it turns red)

You're doing ok. The bleach is fine to use in the pool. You don't want to shock a new plaster pool but using bleach to bring the FC up is fine.
2 gallons of liquid CYA would have added about 26 ppm CYA. so your measurement isn't that far off.

I wouldn't use the tablets much longer since your CYA is probably about 30 or 40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.