Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 Week old pool, I hope I'm doing this right??

1. Back To Top    #1

3 Week old pool, I hope I'm doing this right??

First off I want to say this site is awesome!

Our pool is about 2 1/2 weeks old. I tried to brush it at least once a day the first week and then had to go out of town the second week for about 5 days, since being back I have brushed it once a day. I have never really seen any plaster dust while brushing, hope this is a good thing.

I know the ph was too high the first 2 weeks, my kit was saying 8 but that is the highest it goes. The pool builder was supposed to come and balance the chemicals right before I left the second week, but when I came back the ph was still reading 8 and the chlorine was only about .5

Since tuesday I have been able to keep the PH in the 7.3 to 7.8 range by adding Muratic acid daily. We have an automatic chlorine feeder with the pucks in it, but I have been adding bleach also to keep it in the 2 to 4 range. I just read yesterday that bleach in a new pool may not be right though

In the last week I have added 2 gallons of the liquid stabilizer to bring the CYA up, and 1/2 gallon of stain & scale2 from Leslie's, (we had what looked like dirt spots on our shelf, but it wouldn't scrub off) Hope this was ok to add.

Anyway here are my test results, I am thinking I need to bring the Calcium up, but want to be sure and get help from the experts here. Thanks!

PH 7.3
    FC 3
    TC 3
    CC 0
    CH 130
    CYA Maybe 15, but I am not totally sure, I fill the small tube to the top and can still see the black dot a little
    TA 110 or 120 (at 11 drops the liquid changes from green to clear at 12 drops it turns red)
    29,000 Gallons, IG gunite/plaster, Pentair 1.5 HP pump, Pentair cartridge filter 150 flow rate/520 sq feet

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3 Week old pool, I hope I'm doing this right??

You're doing ok. The bleach is fine to use in the pool. You don't want to shock a new plaster pool but using bleach to bring the FC up is fine.
    2 gallons of liquid CYA would have added about 26 ppm CYA. so your measurement isn't that far off.

I wouldn't use the tablets much longer since your CYA is probably about 30 or 40.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave! Do you think I need to bring the CH up?
    29,000 Gallons, IG gunite/plaster, Pentair 1.5 HP pump, Pentair cartridge filter 150 flow rate/520 sq feet

4. Back To Top    #4

On a pool that new I wouldn't raise it much if any right now. It should come up on it's on but it is pretty low.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I will keep an eye on it. Thanks.