Is Your Ladder Rusting?

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
Last summer we cleaned all the rust off our ladder, but it has already come back. It's mainly around the bolts of the steps and by where the rubber bumpers are, but it's also in a couple of spots on the rails. So we're thinking to replace the ladder, but I don't want to buy a new one just to have it rust like my old one. I'm trying to decide between an S.R. Smith stainless steel ladder (they recommend their marine grade model for SWCG pools), or a Saftron ladder which is made from a resin/plastic material.

So my question is for those of you who have had a SWCG for a while, is your ladder rusting? If not, what kind of ladder are you using?

Thanks!

No SWG. Ladder is rusting a bit at the connection points. Year two for the ladder, it was under cover all winter as well.

If you spray paint over the cleaned off rust, it should help some and get you more time before a new ladder is needed.

Thanks for the replies. Great idea to spray paint over the rust, Frogobog. I never would have thought of that.

Scott, do you know why the Saftron ladder wouldn't fit? We do have an odd measurement from the anchors to the pool wall. Instead of the typical 17", ours is more like 21". But the ladder we have now, as far as I know, is a typical sized ladder that is 24".

Thanks, Scott, I appreciate the reply. I checked at Saftron's website and while they have the measurements, they do not have the pipe size, or at least I couldn't find it. I'm still debating on the S.R. Smith marine grade. I just don't want to spend the extra for marine grade and then have it rust just like regular stainless steel.

UPDATE: Well just got my new ladder. After talking to Saftron and also taking measurements of our old ladder, decided to go with the Saftron polymer ladder. I was still nervous that it woulnd't fit. But just put it together this morning and it fits perfectly. Now I know the plastic isn't going to rust, just hope the bolts don't. Nice looking ladder and I got a really good price on it. If anyone is in the market for a Saftron ladder, I found mine at Poolpeeps.com. They have great customer service and I was able to find a coupon for free shipping on their Facebook page.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.