Help with a salt water pool

smitt

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2011
I just moved into a house with salt water pool. The volume is about 17,000 G. SWG pump is more then enough for the capacity of pool. I had the pool drained and cleaned a month back. The chlorine level of the water was at 0ppm and the pool superstore recommended to use quick shock chlorine tabs. I used it the level was at 3ppm. 5 days later it was again at 0.1ppm. they pool superstore recommended to quick shock it, which I did. They said it is normal to supershock with chlorine tabs once a week. The pump is set at 70% chlorine production. I was wondering if it is normal to supershock with chlorine every week? Is the pump producing any chlorine at all?
The test results for the pool are:
Free chlorine 0.1ppm
combined chlorine 0.5
free chlorine 0.4
ph 8.2 (which i lower with muriatic acid)
hardness 200
Alkalinity 136
Cyanuric acid 15ppm (still dissolving)

Any help would be greately appreciated
Thank You

No, shocking once a week isn't normal but it's the normal recommendation of most pool stores. You only need to shock when there's a problem.

How did you get those test results?

One of your problems is you don't have enough CYA in there. How much did you add?

I added 3 lbs of CYA, i had added about 2lbs more now.
I got the results at the pool superstore, and then verified with the test strip I bought from them. It is Insta Test 6 test strips.
could it be due to wrong direction of valves too? I am going to post some pics of the valves, I am not sure if they are in the right position. they were set up by a pool professional though, he seemed a little uncertain when he set them up.

here are the pics of the valves, there is no marking what valve is for what, Please help.
the close ups go from left to right.

Attachments

• IMG_2379.JPG
    IMG_2379.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2380.JPG
    IMG_2380.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2381.JPG
    IMG_2381.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 220
The position of the valves have nothing to do with your problems. We'll deal with those later.
First thing is to get the pH down.
Then you need to get some chlorine in there. Use liquid chlorine or bleach. Add 1 gal and a qt or 2 small jugs of bleach.
Then you really need to order a good test kit. There's a link to the best one in my sig.

What's in the so called 'quick shock'? Just to throw this out there. Shock is a process not a product.
Is 5 lbs of stabilizer all that you've added? If so you need to add another 5 lbs but wait before adding any more until we figure out if you need to shock.

Now to the valves.
Do you have 2 skimmers and a main drain?
Do you have multiple returns?

The valve to the returns is set to allow flow to both.
The valve nearest the pump suction is set to allow flow from both directions.
The valve in front of the booster pump (right of the pump suction) is set to allow flow from the middle pipe but block flow from the right most pipe.

I have got the ph down,
I added more cyanuric acid, but it takesd a long gime to dissolve, should I use the liquid CYA for salt water pool.
I have 2 skimmers and a main draw.
I dont know about the returns, how do I check if I have multiple returns?

Yes, I have multiple returns to the pool (4-5).
2 skimmers.
Is the chlorine production set at 70% Too high?
Today the chlorine level was 4ppm, total 5ppm, CYA - 40ppm, ph 7.2

Thank You

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please take yourself to Pool School. Take notes on Test Kits compared, bookmark the Chlorine/CYA chart and the Pool Calculator. Then buy a good test kit, I use the TF100, online only, but there are others. Beware, very often a pool store will claim to have the kit you need then act all surprised when they don't and try to sell you a lesser kit.

my results with TF 100 test kit are:
FC- 1.5ppm
CC- 0
TC- 1.5ppm
Alkalinity - 140
Calcium Hardness- 250
CYA- 40
ph- 8.2
salt level is good,
SWG set at 50%

what should I do to increase the chlorine level?
should I add quick shock?
should the ph be lowered after or before that?

Thank You

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.