How to operate the diverter valve?

guydot

Jul 17, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks to this amazing site, I decided to fire the pool company and take care of the pool myself. I am so happy I did it! I already found multiple issues and the pool is looking great.

There is one basic question that I am not sure about: how to operate the diverter valve. My question is: where should the OFF position on the handle be for:

(1) Skimmer only?
(2) Main drain only?
(3) Combination?

[attachment=0:209lob9u]photo.JPG[/attachment:209lob9u]

Right the OFF position is on "B" and I am not sure it is the right position. Also - there is a plastic pin that blocks the handle from going all the way to OFF at "C" - not sure why.

Thanks for helping a newbie!!!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 238
If you want to *understand* your diverter valve, turn off the pump and take the valve apart (probably only a few screws holding it together). You'll likely see that there is a "door" that covers/uncovers the various pipe openings as you turn the handle. On mine (and I'd guess on yours, too, by the presence of the "off" tab), the "door" is opposite from the handle (resting against position "B" in your photo). So with the handle over position "E", the door is completely covering the inlet from the skimmer (position "A"). Of course, I could be all wet if your valve is constructed differently from mine; I'm by no means an expert in pools and equipment! Especially since Mark Crook's responses don't seem to agree with what I just wrote (just noticed the discrepancy - maybe someone can fill us both in?)

Disclaimer: if you take your valve apart, make sure to keep the inside C-L-E-A-N! Bits and pieces along the seals can cause leaking when you reassemble). And if you're the least bit unsure of your mechanical aptitude, don't take it apart! ;-)

No sig yet, but 30,000 gal vinyl in-ground-with-billions-of-$-wasted-last-year-listening-to-the-pool-store-before-I-found-this-site-and-got-a-real-test-kit-and-learned-real-pool-chemistry-now-I'm-loving-every-minute-of-saving-and-splashing.
Phil

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.