I am a new owner of a 27' 17,000 gallon pool

Jul 17, 2011
Hello, I am a new owner of a 27' 17,000 gallon pool and very little knowledge about pool care. I have been trying to find a solution to my problem by reading these forums, but have had little luck. So I am asking for HELP! Since starting the pool 3 weeks ago, the water has been crystal clear, but my PH has been at 8.4 and my TA at 240. I haven't messed with it much this whole time because we have been working on the deck and haven't been swimming . Ready to swim now, I shocked it 2 days ago and the water became insantly cloudy and has not cleared up. My levels this morning are FC 5, PH 8.4, TA 240, and Stabilizer 30-50. I only have the test stips that came with the pool. Do I need a different tester and what should I do to clear up my cloudy pool problem?

Welcome to TFP!

First, get the PH down to around 7.2 to 7.4 as soon as possible. You always want to keep the PH below 8.0. There is a reasonable chance that will clear up the water.

It would be a huge help if you had a better test kit. I recommend the TF100 from TFTestKits.net. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.

It is also a good idea to do some reading in Pool School.

allsix99 said:
Thank you. I have a container of Ph down, is that all I need to add? I will for sure be ordering that test kit you recommended.
Welcome to TFP :wave:

You can use the pH down to lower the pH. Use the PoolCalculator.Com to figure doses.

Since you only have the strips, I suggest you take a water sample to a pool store for a full set of test results. Then we can go from there.

Ditto on the TF100 test kit. Best investment we made in our pool. Link in my sig.

Pls add your pool and equipment specs to your sig. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.