Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: I am a new owner of a 27' 17,000 gallon pool

I am a new owner of a 27' 17,000 gallon pool

Hello, I am a new owner of a 27' 17,000 gallon pool and very little knowledge about pool care. I have been trying to find a solution to my problem by reading these forums, but have had little luck. So I am asking for HELP! Since starting the pool 3 weeks ago, the water has been crystal clear, but my PH has been at 8.4 and my TA at 240. I haven't messed with it much this whole time because we have been working on the deck and haven't been swimming . Ready to swim now, I shocked it 2 days ago and the water became insantly cloudy and has not cleared up. My levels this morning are FC 5, PH 8.4, TA 240, and Stabilizer 30-50. I only have the test stips that came with the pool. Do I need a different tester and what should I do to clear up my cloudy pool problem?

Re: I am a new owner of a 27' 17,000 gallon pool

Welcome to TFP!

First, get the PH down to around 7.2 to 7.4 as soon as possible. You always want to keep the PH below 8.0. There is a reasonable chance that will clear up the water.

It would be a huge help if you had a better test kit. I recommend the TF100 from TFTestKits.net. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.

It is also a good idea to do some reading in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Thank you. I have a container of Ph down, is that all I need to add? I will for sure be ordering that test kit you recommended.

We recommend muriatic acid but since you already have it, you can use the dry acid (pH Down). You can use the Pool Calc to figure out how much you need to add.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by allsix99
    Thank you. I have a container of Ph down, is that all I need to add? I will for sure be ordering that test kit you recommended.
    Welcome to TFP

You can use the pH down to lower the pH. Use the PoolCalculator.Com to figure doses.

Since you only have the strips, I suggest you take a water sample to a pool store for a full set of test results. Then we can go from there.

Ditto on the TF100 test kit. Best investment we made in our pool. Link in my sig.

Pls add your pool and equipment specs to your sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Love yourself and add the speed stir and the sample tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!