Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing the suction side pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing the suction side pipe

Hello All,

I am about to replace my suction side pipe using rigid PVC, crossing the back yard from skimmer to pump and in effect making a 180 deg. turn.
    I have two possible ways of doing it and was wondering if there is a difference.
    The upside of the second option is less digging... but I can't decide which of the options presents less resistance to flow.

Some "ASCII art" to illustrate the issue:

1. 3 segments, 2 x 90 deg. joints
    2. 4 segments, 2 x 135 deg joints, 1 x 90 deg. joint

Code:
    Pump        Skimmer       Pump       Skimmer
     ^             |           ^            |
     |             |           |            |
     |             |           |           /
     |_____________|           |__________/
            1                        2
    Appreciate your input.
    Yoav.
    15 KL (3300 imperial / 4000 US gallons) IG fiberglass pool, 61cm (24") Lacron sand filter, 3/4 HP Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing the suction side pipe

If you actually mean two 45 degree bends replacing a single 90 degree bend where you said 135 degree bends but drew something closer to 45, then it comes out about even either way. Two 45s are about the same as one 90. If you actually meant 135 degrees, one 135 is worse than a single 90, and two 135s is much worse than one 90.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replacing the suction side pipe

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If you actually mean two 45 degree bends replacing a single 90 degree bend where you said 135 degree bends but drew something closer to 45, then it comes out about even either way. Two 45s are about the same as one 90. If you actually meant 135 degrees, one 135 is worse than a single 90, and two 135s is much worse than one 90.
    That's why I made the drawing - I knew the 135 would be a confusing description.
    I guess then its a matter of convenience now.

Thanks,
    Yoav.
    15 KL (3300 imperial / 4000 US gallons) IG fiberglass pool, 61cm (24") Lacron sand filter, 3/4 HP Hayward pump