We lose CL by percent or ppm?

Whatrymes

LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2011
E. Bridgewater, MA
I remember reading a couple of posts stating that it was normal to lose half of our CL per day, another words, the higher our target ppm, the more CL we should lose in 24 hours. I've read others say that it is normal to lose so many ppm per day which would mean higher target ppm would make no difference.

I'm now curious to know if the former is true because since I've raised my target ppm my consumption has increased. When I shot for 4 ppm I never lost more than 2-3 ppm a day. Now I've raised my target ppm to 6 and I've consistently lost 3-4 ppm per day.

So my question is, is it normal to expect a higher CL loss per day if we have relatively higher target FC ppm per day?

Everything seems perfect.

FC = 6.5
TC = ~.2
pH = 7.6
TA = 115
CH = 250
CYA = 45

No visible algae, OCLT = near 0,
. . . and sparklin' clear.

What has happened is that you have outstripped your CYA. IOW, you've raised your FC above the recommended upper level for your CYA of 45. If you raise your CYA then you'd lose less FC if you kept it the same.

Bama Rambler said:
What has happened is that you have outstripped your CYA. IOW, you've raised your FC above the recommended upper level for your CYA of 45. If you raise your CYA then you'd lose less FC if you kept it the same.

That makes perfect sense, thank you, love that explanation.

Could I get your opinion on that last question? I'm curious about that one.

Thanks,
Ed

Assuming a fixed CYA level and the same amount of sunlight each day, you lose a fixed percentage of your starting FC level to sunlight over the course of a sunny day. The exact amount of sunlight varies and there is also a rather small amount of chlorine lost to sanitation that doesn't follow this rule, so it won't be exact. But by and large, you lose a percentage of your starting level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.