what would cause this........

Jun 4, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
My pool is clear but not holding chlorine level. I put 5 96oz jugs in today and two hours later it read that there was none. My cya is 50 I will post other numbers tomorrow. I just thought it really weird and I have no clue what to do. It has done this for two weeks. Not registering that I pour bleach in it. What could be causing this?

passionsrlz said:
My pool is clear but not holding chlorine level. I put 5 96oz jugs in today and two hours later it read that there was none. My cya is 50 I will post other numbers tomorrow. I just thought it really weird and I have no clue what to do. It has done this for two weeks. Not registering that I pour bleach in it. What could be causing this?

Possible poor quality bleach...3% or simply too old.
False test results
High amount of organic matter in water.

...what else??

Many things could cause that situation, including low CYA. Likely you will need to shock, but we'll need a full set of test results 1st. Also you may perform the overnight FC loss test, if your water is clear :goodjob:

No replacing water and water level holding steady. Just not keeping bleach. I had an algae bloom earlier this year and when I poured five bottles of bleach in the water two hours later it still had some. I am showing none at all......very frustrating.

Back to the bleach, please put 1/4 teaspoon bleach in 2 gallons of tap water. Test FC of tap water alone and bleach and tap combined. Will need FAS-DPD test for this, using drips, not strips or other color based test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
passionsrlz said:
could I have a bad regent? I left it in the heat and it is really really got here right now.

You could have bad reagent. I did one year and didn't realize it until I used a different, newer test kit one day. My FC results had been consistent, but lower than I thought they should be, like around 2 ppm. Newer test kit showed FC to be closer to 5 ppm and that was closer to where I thought it should be, based upon the amount of Cl I was using.

Just my experience. YMMV.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.