How long to run filter daily

May 7, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
I'm really liking the BBB method. It's low cost and it works! Now I'm looking at reducing energy costs by not filtering 24/7. Any suggestions on filter frequency and duration would be appreciated. Or maybe there's a good post on this subject someone could point me to.

Have at it: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22filte ... eepool.com

Also pool-school/pump_run_time

Since I have an overflow spa, it was easy for me. I measured the spa and then set the valves to pump out for about a foot and timed it. Then refilled it and timed it that way. Some number crunching gave me average GPM. Knowing that, it was a simple matter to figure out how long it took to get one full turn over a day: just under 4 hours. So I run it about 4 hours a day. Sometimes more, since I may be adding chemicals or vacuuming outside the program run time.

This is something I wondered about as well. Having had a pool for 2 summers now I have learned a few things. This summer I have been able to run my pump 4-5 hours during the hottest days (110-115 deg) of the year and water temps in low to mid 90s.

Last summer I ran the pump 8-9 hours because I didn't know any better. With the excellent help of mas985 I realized I was getting a full turnover in about 2 hours and really was running up my electricity bill for no reason.

However, to my mind that is a long time to leave hot stagnant water. So currently I run 1 hour at 9 AM, from 1-3 PM, and 6-8 PM. This gives me peace of mind. I don't run at night as it is my understanding algae requires some sunlight to grow quickly, with a cell doubling time of 3-8 hours. Thus with about 4 hours between stirs I feel comfortable I am keeping growth in check.

When the heat dies down next month I will likely go back to 4 hrs per day, dropping one hour at the end of the day. Last winter I ran it 2 hours per day and it was perfectly clear. I could probably get away with one hour with water temps around 50 deg.

Save some major $$ - cut way down on the run hours.

Eventually when my pump dies I will be switching to an Intelliflo VS. However it's tough to justify outly with my electric rates around 13 cents kw/h.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.