HELP Black algae spreading!

dickeystorm

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2010
Lake Jackson, TX
I have a growing black algae problem. I posted pictures in an earlier post (June 20th). At that time there were not a lot of spots and they were confined to the deep end about 5 feet down. I was keeping the FC at 7-10 during that time, and yes I messed up a couple of times and let the FC drop below the 7 minimum, but never longer than a day.

Since then I have tried to keep the FC to at least 10. I have tried the vitamin c with no effect and the chlorine tablet with no effect, although it was difficult to do anything 5 feet down. I bought a wire brush and have brushed some but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Now, the black spots have spread. The original area is 2-3 times as wide and longer and there are mo0re spots in other areas.

So, what do I have to do to get rid of this BA? How high does the FC have to be and for how long? Does the pH matter?

Thanks all.

FC 12.5
CC 0
TA 190
CH 410
pH 7.8
CYA 80-85
TEMP 89

Best thing to do is bring your pool to shock level and brush the spots with a stiff brush as often as you can. BA is very tenacious and is one of the toughest things to rid yourself of. Unfortunately, vitamin C will only lighten a metal stain. It won't do anything to black algae. The pH should be as close to 7.2 as possible while shocking.

You will have a hard time shocking with a CYA of about 85. I suggest you lower it to about 50 thru a drain/refill dance. That will lower your shock level from about 32 to about 20.

You will need to maintain shock level and brush the BA daily with the algae brush while at shock level. Brushing knocks the heads off and allows the chlorine to get in and kill it.

Maintain the shock level until it is gone. Then, for the rest of this season, I suggest you maintain your FC at Target level and don't let it drop down to the minimum for your CYA. BA can be a buggar to get rid of and keep away. So be diligent.

Then, once the BA is gone and you are maintaining, you should brush the pool at least weekly with a SS/wire brush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.