Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge filter generating loud vibrating noise.

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge filter generating loud vibrating noise.

My 2 year old pump (3rd pool season) has been acting up lately, including generating some real loud vibrating noises which force me to shut the pump down. It looks like it is still moving water around, but the pressure gauge is twitching rapidly, so I am guessing there is a major issue. This has happened 2-3 times before, and usually reseating/flipping the filter around seems to do the trick, but I am not sure what is actually causing it. I uploaded a video showing what's going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPBoT_F2wLA

I am hoping it is not a cartridge issue, since I was told the cartridge for my filter is over $100. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge filter generating loud vibrating noise.

Have you bled the air out of it? It sounds like something loose in there but it could be air.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I second the possibility of air.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, I verified no air was in the system (and the water is at about the same pace as it was before the noise started), I used the bleeder valve on top to make sure air was gone. Do you think it would make this kind of noise if one of the cartridge 'fins' was damaged/ripped? It really sounds like something vibrating really quick. I probably washed the filter around 10 times so far this season (with a garden hose/sprayer attachment), due to the excessive amount of pollen I had to deal with.

5. Back To Top    #5

Something loose inside would be my second guess. Time to pop the hood!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, what he ^ said!

most likely you didn't get the cartridge or cartridge carrier back in exactly right last time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I have taken it out many times (for cleaning reasons), haven't found anything wrong. Not sure how I could reinstall it incorrectly, but it has to be something like that, since there isn't much to this filter, and I am out of ideas.

8. Back To Top    #8

Let us know the model of the filter. It's probably a gasket not seated correctly or the carrier not seated exactly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

The filter is a Hayward XStream Filtration Series, model # CC150CAN.

I also took some pictures of the filter components, so you can see how basic this unit is:

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/231214/ ... r?h=ab584d

I just opened it up, flipped the filter around, and now it's fine again for a few days. Thanks for checking!

10. Back To Top    #10

Make sure you screw the housing retainer down all the way.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I screw it all the way down until the handle latches click (and it pretty much stops moving after that). I guess I could try a lubricant for pool valve gaskets to make sure it seats properly.