Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: is there a difference

1. Back To Top    #1

is there a difference

is there a difference in how much tablets contain versus brand .. previous owners have been useing leslies 3 inch tablets for years and set the chlorinator on full and never had a problem with cya levels running up quickly .. now i bought pool time brand tablets at sams club and the cya level when shooting up using the same auto feeder on the same setting .. is there a difference by brand on the amount tablets contain?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: is there a difference

All Trichlor tablets contain the same amount of CYA and chlorine no matter the brand.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Perhaps they backwashed a lot more than you do. Or there has been a lot less rain to dilute the water.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

is it possible that these tablets dissolve faster than leslies brand?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think you're jousting at windmills. Those tablets shouldn't dissolve any differently than any other tablets. Even if they did you'd just adjust the feeder and the resulting amount used would be the same.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

thats what i thought when i bought them .. but the feeder ate up twice as many tablets in less time than the 5 a week with leslies .. it's wierd i don't understand the problem completely .. yet

7. Back To Top    #7

tablets dissolving rapidly

Topics merged. Please keep the same issues in one place. Bama

what would make my 3" tablets dissolve at a rapid pace without turning up the dial on the auto feeder.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to make these new tablets get sucked down in only a couple of days .. i asked on another post and they said all tablets dissolve at the same rate. So what would make this happen? So this doesn't happen again.

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: tablets dissolving rapidly

Hotter water maybe?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

FIELD REPORT:

I'm sure that some pucks dissolve more quickly than others.

At the beginning of the season I used Bio-Guard tabs, then switched to Pool Time, all was fine. Then I found HTH 'Dual Action' for 40 lbs for $90 and bought a few bucikets of them (I didn't have my glasses and figured it wasn't the 'triple action' but... they have copper in them )

The HTH tabs are dissolving much more quickly than the other 2 brands (maybe they are just thinner 3" tabs?)

I think it's the thickness of the tabs that comes into play for this (though the HTH tabs don't 'feel as dense')
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

It has to do with how well they are compressed and to what binders are used (though Trichlor pucks have < 1% binders by weight).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Richard, now how do I get the copper out of them?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)