May 26, 2011
FC 4
CC 0
TC 4
pH was 7.2...now 8.2
T/A 90
CH 290
CYA 40

I have a 15K gal pool and chart said to put 47 oz by weight of Borax in there to raise it from 7.2 to 7.5. I weighed it out exactly with a digital scale (put the container on there and it registers Zero and then increases by weight of what you add) and put 47 oz. in there and it raised my pH to 8.2 Is there something in my chemical balance that made it raise it that high? I have to put muriatic (23 oz. according to the chart) in there now to drop it. Where did I go wrong?

I did it this afternoon so maybe it will adjust? Pump has been running for about 5 hours since I put the Borax in. Using TF 100 kit to test AND K-1000 Basic Residential Pool & Spa Test Kit (OT). Tests match. Also have a Taylor Speed Stir, which I LOVE!

TIA

JJ

Butterfly said:
Are you sure you used Borax and NOT washing soda or soda ash?

That would do almost exactly what you saw, 7.2 to 8.2 pH rise.

The box says 20 Mule Team Borax (got the little pic of the wagon and mules, etc.). I just bought a 4 lb. box of it so not a big box, but had enough to put 47 ounces of dry weight in there, which is what the calculator told me to do.

I thought maybe something was off that made it do that? I mixed it in a 3 gal bucket with water before adding it to the pool spreading it all the way around the outer edges. Ran pump about 5 hours before testing again. My CH is getting pretty high. TA at 90 is kind of on the low end. BTW, pool was crystal but was starting to get a little yellow algae before I added any chemicals today.

JJ

257WbyMag said:
Or, perhaps you miscalculated your pool size in gallons?

Don't think so. I measured it with a 50 ft tape measure to be sure it was exact in overall length and width. It's liver shaped, and don't remember the measurements at the moment, but I measured depth with my pole, put my finger at the water line, brought it out of the pool at both ends, and then put the tape on it. Came out to right at 15K gal.

JJ

257WbyMag said:
Or, perhaps you miscalculated your pool size in gallons?

BTW, I haven't made a contribution to the site yet, but will be sending a $50 check. I don't like giving credit card info out, but you folks have definitely helped me, and I appreciate it. I think I'm going to switch to a salt system so I don't have some of the Crud I have to deal with, but meanwhile I have what I have and have been VERY HAPPY with the advice I've gotten here. Only had this dang pool for less than 4 years, and it didn't come with an owner's manual. Personally, I've only swam in it less than 2 dozen times in nearing 4 years, and I'd rather not have it, but my baby likes it, so I gotta keep it pretty for her.

She's going swimming here in a bit. I'll wait to add the muriatic acid until she's done to drop the pH. Burnt the heck out of my right foot and leg with that last time I added that a good while back, so I'll be more careful this time.

Thank you for your help!

JJ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Butterfly said:

Most of my chemical levels are quite good, aren't they...except for the current pH of 8.0 to 8.2, and it is nearer 8.2 with my eyes? I definitely have to bring that pH down. We'll swim here in a bit and I'll do it after Gin gets out of the pool. She doesn't swim underwater with her eyes open so shouldn't be a big deal. My son doesn't get off work until about 2 a.m., and he swims underwater with his eyes open. I think I can add muriatic acid when Gin is done and it'll have time to bring the pH down before he gets home.

Thanks for the help!

JJ

JJSeabrook said:
Butterfly said:

Most of my chemical levels are quite good, aren't they...except for the current pH of 8.0 to 8.2, and it is nearer 8.2 with my eyes? I definitely have to bring that pH down. We'll swim here in a bit and I'll do it after Gin gets out of the pool. She doesn't swim underwater with her eyes open so shouldn't be a big deal. My son doesn't get off work until about 2 a.m., and he swims underwater with his eyes open. I think I can add muriatic acid when Gin is done and it'll have time to bring the pH down before he gets home.

Thanks for the help!

JJ

According to the Pool Calculator, I need 3.5 cups of muriatic acid. I'm adding 2 cups and see how that reads in the morning. Had some chlorine smell tonight.

JJ

JJSeabrook said:
JJSeabrook said:
Butterfly said:

Thanks for the help!

JJ

According to the Pool Calculator, I need 3.5 cups of muriatic acid. I'm adding 2 cups and see how that reads in the morning. Had some chlorine smell tonight.

JJ

Perfect! PH is 7.5 now. :whoot:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.