Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    FC 4
    CC 0
    TC 4
    pH was 7.2...now 8.2
    T/A 90
    CH 290
    CYA 40

    I have a 15K gal pool and chart said to put 47 oz by weight of Borax in there to raise it from 7.2 to 7.5. I weighed it out exactly with a digital scale (put the container on there and it registers Zero and then increases by weight of what you add) and put 47 oz. in there and it raised my pH to 8.2 Is there something in my chemical balance that made it raise it that high? I have to put muriatic (23 oz. according to the chart) in there now to drop it. Where did I go wrong?

    I did it this afternoon so maybe it will adjust? Pump has been running for about 5 hours since I put the Borax in. Using TF 100 kit to test AND K-1000 Basic Residential Pool & Spa Test Kit (OT). Tests match. Also have a Taylor Speed Stir, which I LOVE!

    TIA

    JJ
    15K gal IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    1 horse pump..don't know flow rate
    Chlorine Feeder
    Pool Newbie (only 3 1/2 years)

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    Are you sure you used Borax and NOT washing soda or soda ash?

    That would do almost exactly what you saw, 7.2 to 8.2 pH rise.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Are you sure you used Borax and NOT washing soda or soda ash?

    That would do almost exactly what you saw, 7.2 to 8.2 pH rise.
    The box says 20 Mule Team Borax (got the little pic of the wagon and mules, etc.). I just bought a 4 lb. box of it so not a big box, but had enough to put 47 ounces of dry weight in there, which is what the calculator told me to do.

    I thought maybe something was off that made it do that? I mixed it in a 3 gal bucket with water before adding it to the pool spreading it all the way around the outer edges. Ran pump about 5 hours before testing again. My CH is getting pretty high. TA at 90 is kind of on the low end. BTW, pool was crystal but was starting to get a little yellow algae before I added any chemicals today.

    JJ
    15K gal IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    1 horse pump..don't know flow rate
    Chlorine Feeder
    Pool Newbie (only 3 1/2 years)

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    JJ, maybe testing error. I suggest you retest before any adjusting.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    JJ, maybe testing error. I suggest you retest before any adjusting.
    I've tested it twice, but I'll test it again. BRB. I got plenty of drops left. LOL

    Thanks!

    JJ
    15K gal IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    1 horse pump..don't know flow rate
    Chlorine Feeder
    Pool Newbie (only 3 1/2 years)

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    5,061

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    Or, perhaps you miscalculated your pool size in gallons?

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    JJ, maybe testing error. I suggest you retest before any adjusting.
    It might be 8.0, but definitely higher than 7.8, and close to the 8.2 color.

    JJ
    15K gal IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    1 horse pump..don't know flow rate
    Chlorine Feeder
    Pool Newbie (only 3 1/2 years)

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Or, perhaps you miscalculated your pool size in gallons?
    Don't think so. I measured it with a 50 ft tape measure to be sure it was exact in overall length and width. It's liver shaped, and don't remember the measurements at the moment, but I measured depth with my pole, put my finger at the water line, brought it out of the pool at both ends, and then put the tape on it. Came out to right at 15K gal.

    JJ
    15K gal IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    1 horse pump..don't know flow rate
    Chlorine Feeder
    Pool Newbie (only 3 1/2 years)

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Or, perhaps you miscalculated your pool size in gallons?
    BTW, I haven't made a contribution to the site yet, but will be sending a $50 check. I don't like giving credit card info out, but you folks have definitely helped me, and I appreciate it. I think I'm going to switch to a salt system so I don't have some of the **** I have to deal with, but meanwhile I have what I have and have been VERY HAPPY with the advice I've gotten here. Only had this dang pool for less than 4 years, and it didn't come with an owner's manual. Personally, I've only swam in it less than 2 dozen times in nearing 4 years, and I'd rather not have it, but my baby likes it, so I gotta keep it pretty for her.

    She's going swimming here in a bit. I'll wait to add the muriatic acid until she's done to drop the pH. Burnt the **** out of my right foot and leg with that last time I added that a good while back, so I'll be more careful this time.

    Thank you for your help!

    JJ
    15K gal IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    1 horse pump..don't know flow rate
    Chlorine Feeder
    Pool Newbie (only 3 1/2 years)

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Most of my chemical levels are quite good, aren't they...except for the current pH of 8.0 to 8.2, and it is nearer 8.2 with my eyes? I definitely have to bring that pH down. We'll swim here in a bit and I'll do it after Gin gets out of the pool. She doesn't swim underwater with her eyes open so shouldn't be a big deal. My son doesn't get off work until about 2 a.m., and he swims underwater with his eyes open. I think I can add muriatic acid when Gin is done and it'll have time to bring the pH down before he gets home.

    Thanks for the help!

    JJ
    15K gal IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    1 horse pump..don't know flow rate
    Chlorine Feeder
    Pool Newbie (only 3 1/2 years)

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    Quote Originally Posted by JJSeabrook
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Most of my chemical levels are quite good, aren't they...except for the current pH of 8.0 to 8.2, and it is nearer 8.2 with my eyes? I definitely have to bring that pH down. We'll swim here in a bit and I'll do it after Gin gets out of the pool. She doesn't swim underwater with her eyes open so shouldn't be a big deal. My son doesn't get off work until about 2 a.m., and he swims underwater with his eyes open. I think I can add muriatic acid when Gin is done and it'll have time to bring the pH down before he gets home.

    Thanks for the help!

    JJ
    According to the Pool Calculator, I need 3.5 cups of muriatic acid. I'm adding 2 cups and see how that reads in the morning. Had some chlorine smell tonight.

    JJ
    15K gal IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    1 horse pump..don't know flow rate
    Chlorine Feeder
    Pool Newbie (only 3 1/2 years)

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Re: Calculator didn't work right on My PH

    Quote Originally Posted by JJSeabrook
    Quote Originally Posted by JJSeabrook
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Most of my chemical levels are quite good, aren't they...except for the current pH of 8.0 to 8.2, and it is nearer 8.2 with my eyes? I definitely have to bring that pH down. We'll swim here in a bit and I'll do it after Gin gets out of the pool. She doesn't swim underwater with her eyes open so shouldn't be a big deal. My son doesn't get off work until about 2 a.m., and he swims underwater with his eyes open. I think I can add muriatic acid when Gin is done and it'll have time to bring the pH down before he gets home.

    Thanks for the help!

    JJ
    According to the Pool Calculator, I need 3.5 cups of muriatic acid. I'm adding 2 cups and see how that reads in the morning. Had some chlorine smell tonight.

    JJ
    Perfect! PH is 7.5 now.
    15K gal IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    1 horse pump..don't know flow rate
    Chlorine Feeder
    Pool Newbie (only 3 1/2 years)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •