Ok, I read that you should keep the solar cover off when shocking. I have had my pool between 3-5ppm for FC. I had the cover off all day yesterday, and we swam twice. I was lazy and didn't test last night, and this morning it was at 1. I was at pool shop, buying a hose, and they tested and said FC was 1, and total was .8
They only sell bottles of chlorine by the case, so my wife is bringing home a gallon of great value bleach. They tried to talk me into a bag of shock, and said I should shock once every two weeks. Well, I swear I read on here, that I only need to shock, if there is a problem. This is the first time it has went below 2ppm, and everything tests good, and water is clear. Shouldn't I just raise my FC back to normal and make sure it doesn't get brought down fast, before I worry about shocking it? (I see no reason to maintain a shock lvl, since I have no problems)
The calculator says to basically add a gallon to get to 5ppm. My CYA is 21 and I have been keeping it on the low side, because I am using TriChlor tablets this summer, and I know it is constantly going up. (I just bought an intex SWG for next season) This is why my FC is fluctuating more than most, but I check it twice a day (besides yesterday), so I keep up on it.
Do you think that adding a gallon is enough, or should I be listening to the shop and shock and try to maintain a 10-12ppm lvl for a day or two? Do I need to keep the cover off, when I add the gallon of bleach, or can I add it with cover on? Also, if I choose to do this during the day next time, how long should I wait to swim, after adding a gallon.