Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemicals through skimmer problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemicals through skimmer problem

I have an intex ultra 18x52 pool with 1600 sand filter with an added salt water system. I am trying to add cyanuric acid. The instructions say to add through the skimmer. Unfortunetly on this pool there is a strainer where the hose of the skimmer attaches to the wall of the pool and all the cyanuric acid clogs up right there. Any suggestions or solutions on how to add this chemical to the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemicals through skimmer problem

The best way to add cyanuric acid is to put it in a sock or stocking and hang that in front of a return jet.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by gakawell
    I have an intex ultra 18x52 pool with 1600 sand filter with an added salt water system. I am trying to add cyanuric acid. The instructions say to add through the skimmer. Unfortunetly on this pool there is a strainer where the hose of the skimmer attaches to the wall of the pool and all the cyanuric acid clogs up right there. Any suggestions or solutions on how to add this chemical to the pool.
    If you want to add it to the skimmer you need to dilute it in bucket of water first then pour slowly into skimmer. You shouldn't clean or backwash filter for probably a week or so after adding the CYA to the skimmer as the CYA gets trapped in the filter media and dissolves slowly.

I have done it both ways (skimmer and sock), I prefer the sock, I tie it to the ladder and squeeze it a couple of times a day. Using the sock method you know when it is all dissolved.

Each method will work just fine if done properly.
    Intex Ultra Frame 16' X 48" (5,000 Gallons)
    Intex Sand Filter System (2650 GPH)
    Taylor K-6000
    BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for those ideas. I will be giving them a try. I must admit I never would have thought of the sock idea.

5. Back To Top    #5

What about panty hose?
    16x48 Intex Ultra frame pool with swg

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    What about panty hose?
    Yes, that works too.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry